Cycling my 75 gallon tank bump in the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friendly75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off I wanted to say hello to all. Your site has been a wealth of knowledge and inspiration. I really didn't think I was going to join but... two reasons. First cycling a new 75 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump can get a lil boing, and I have hit a little bump in the road where I could use some advice.

Currently I am doing a Fish-Less cycle I have a 75 gallon tank, 15 gallon sump which half is bio balls and the other is my pump which pumps 330gph. I am on day number 8 using pure ace hardware ammonia. I dosed to approx. 5ppm and to my surprise on day number 4 I saw Nitrites, day 5 I saw 2ppm Nitrites and between 40 and 80ppm Nitrate. Also on day five I got a hold of some substrate/gravel from a five year old tank, I was lucky to get about 20lbs.

Now day 6 ammonia level around 3 to 4 ppm, Nitrites 2ppm Nitrates climbing, upwards of Nitrate 100ppm.

Here is where I think I know what going on but want to make sure. Day 8 ammonia between 1-2ppm. but my nitrites have almost disappeared. I figure there is a logical solution and maybe the person I got the substrate from had treated it with some sort of medicine at one time to help a nitrite problem, or my ammonia level is dropping too low thus the drop in Nitrites. Or maybe none of the above

Sorry for a long winded first post. At the moment I am just waiting it out, without doing anything. Any ideas what it could be that caused the Nitrite to drop very rapidly,

BTW my PH is 7.8 and is buffered with a sack of agronite.

Thanks for your responses and any advice is welcome.

None of the above, I am sure. Day 8 is still very very early in the cycling process.

Things that could cause you to stall right now are:
* pH crash (as the bacteria eats ammoniam your pH will go down, at under 6.5 nitrification slows intensively, at 6.0 it stops)
* phosphorus depletion

The bacteria do need some phosphorous to do their thing. You can crush in a smidge of fish flake, or do a 50% water change. For the pH you can add some baking soda, or do the water change. Either thing should get you back running and you should see nitrites again.

Although ph crashes are common in a fishless cycle, I don't believe this is the case as the OP mentioned the ph being stable at 7.8 and buffered with aragonite.

I am curious about a few things though. First, as cycled media/substrate was added and your nitrites disappeared shortly after, have your nitrates increased to coincide with zero nitrite? Is your ammonia still steadily dropping (not dropping indicates a stall)?

Last, with the nitrite test, does it turn from any shade of purple to 'blue' or does it remain sea-blue (exactly like the chart) for the entire duration of the test?

Day 9

As of this am I have not tested the water just wanted to reply to some of the above posts

-I have done no water changes
- day number 5 I gave some fish food to the tank
- when I tested for Nitirites the test drops dropped n with a swirl of blue then slooowly turned into .25 approx.
- yes Nitrate levels are almost off the chart.
Little more background... API master test is what I am using, a concern I have is that I have a kh value of 53.7 or .8 which is why I'm buffering the water. My tap water runs out much lower in lower on the low side as in 7.0. I assumed it was way to early to see nitrites in the beginning so I am not crushed but thought maybe things were going along quick.

I will post my daily am reading in a bit.

Thanks for all the help.

Day 9 am readings

Amm- around 1ppm
Nitrites- sea blue with a tint of purple less than .25ppm
Nitrates darkest red I have seen 160ppm

I will wait for advice on what to do.

Also tank temp is set at 86f ,lights out as it's in a basement, and have two 120 volt air stones going

Let me know if u need other parameters to diagnose. Thanks again for the help.

I would recommend doing a major water change in order to reduce the nitrates.

The ultimate goal to know that your cycle is complete is to see ammonia turned into nitrites then nitrates in a 24 hour period. You will not be able to see that with your nitrates off the chart.

I would recommend doing a major water change in order to reduce the nitrates.

The ultimate goal to know that your cycle is complete is to see ammonia turned into nitrites then nitrates in a 24 hour period. You will not be able to see that with your nitrates off the chart.

I see no need for this. To check cycle completion you just dose ammonia and if in 24 hours there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, you are cycled. There's no need to see your nitrate levels to determine you are finished.

Op: Just wait for the current ammonia to go away, then dose it to 2ppm and check 24 hours later. Maybe you're just cycled thanks to the stuff you got from a friend.

Thanks for the advice

I figured to just wait it out, the less changes I do to the tank the better imo. And yes BIG THANKS to a friend willing to give up the 20 lbs of substrate even if it made me scratch my head for a bit. I will know where to turn if I need any help, thanks for the quick responses.

Back
Top Bottom