Cycling options.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this 50 gallon tank for almost a month now, and I've had it set up and running for about 3 weeks. I haven't done anything to cylce it as I haven't had a lot of time to think about which way I'd like to go about doing that.
The tank has live plants and 2 ramshorn snails.
The options I've thought about:
-I have a 10 gallon tank that is fully cycled that I could use to seed. It has a hydro sponge filter.
-I have access to around 20 free endlers livebearers if I could use those for a fish-in-cycle.
-"Feeding" the tank with fish food.

Which would be the best option? Any others?
Thanks.

Fishless "cycle". You would need some pure ammonia (no additives, perfumes or surfactants).

Fish in is the fastest way. I seeded my sisters tank and did a fish in and the cycle was done in 3 days.

You have already started cycling, you have living things in your tank. I would add 2or 3 Mystery Snails (numbers easy to control) and five of your Endlers. Try 2 o3 Female Bettas. These fish are very tugh and they breath air. Every 2 weeks add 5 nore Endlers. Add a couple of Otos when things look good. In 6-8 weeks cycling should be complete. Each time you add more fish though, ammonia will go up but only temporarily.

I've had this 50 gallon tank for almost a month now, and I've had it set up and running for about 3 weeks. I haven't done anything to cylce it as I haven't had a lot of time to think about which way I'd like to go about doing that.
The tank has live plants and 2 ramshorn snails.
The options I've thought about:
-I have a 10 gallon tank that is fully cycled that I could use to seed. It has a hydro sponge filter.
-I have access to around 20 free endlers livebearers if I could use those for a fish-in-cycle.
-"Feeding" the tank with fish food.

Which would be the best option? Any others?
Thanks.

Well you basically have 2 choices, fish in or fish less. How you do this can vary though.

You already have something in your tank, although it is small the snails have still started a cycle. So you could do a fish in leaving the snails or go fish less with ammonia but I would remove the snails for this.

For fish less you can use fish food but TBH a tank of that size is going to be rough. It's hard to control the ammonia level you reach with food and it's seriously messy. 50 gallons is a lot and it would take ALOT of food to get a 2-4 ppm reading on that I think.

personally I would do fish in but unless you planned to keep the endlers long term I wouldn't use them. I'd decide on what you want in the tank long term and go from there. Pick the hardiest fish and work your way through your cycling adding fish slowly.

Either way seeded material is always great and can't hurt. Remember though that that media is only capable of handling the bioload in that tank or less. Going from a small tank like a 10 gal to the 50 gal is a big jump and obviously your ending bioload on a 50 is far more than the 10. Fish in cycles generally take longer unless you have very strong seeded material.

20 endlers also probably isn't going to carry the same bioload as what you plan to have in your tank long term anyhow so even if you do use them to cycle your tank you are probably going to still experience spikes as you add fish to the tank.

As I said personally I'd just pick my final stock and work from there or if you can move the snails to the 10 gallon I would go fishless with ammonia. Use the seeded media for either of these but I think these 2 methods are the easiest for yourself.

Your options are fishless, fish-in or silent. Using the media from the cycled 10g will definitely help to jumpstart things but if you have fish in this tank, removing the media will throw this tank back into a cycle. If you want to do fish-in, only stock the hardier fish you plan on keeping. If you dont plan on keeping the endlers, I would not use them.

If your going the fishless route, bottled ammonia is preferred over fish food especially for a larger tank. You would need a huge amount of fish food to reach a decent ammonia level, theres no way to accurately 'dose' fish food and you will wind up with a messy tank & possibly fungus issues.

A silent cycle is using a large amount of fastgrowing plants and slowly stocking. You will find more information on this if you do a search on here. No matter which method you choose, do your research first and figure out which method will be suited to your situation. All of the methods have pros and cons and vary with the amount of work involved. Heres the guide to starting a fw tank- it has links to cycling methods and more information in general. Please ask if you have any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Last edited:
I would move the snails to the 10 and use seeded media from the 10 to jump start a fishless cycle in the 50, dosing with ammonia . Then add the stock that you want to the tank.

Wow thanks everyone! I do know about the fishless cycle, I'm just not really into having to buy ammonia.
I think fish-in would be the way to go, I just have no idea what type of fish I want.

Back
Top Bottom