Cycling/plant/stock build, 10 gallons!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nohika

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know it's a small tank, but still, small tank people like me need support/advice/time to talk to themselves too, right? Plus I'm hoping if I'm still good with aquariums to get a 55gal this summer. :)

Currently I have a fishless cycling tank that is currently decorated with rocks, a 10 gallon aqueon tank. Currently there are fake plants in there, but I'm getting some hornwort soon and I'd like to add wisteria, anubias, and maybe some java fern? Or whatever the beginner one is?

I have a T8 (I think?) 8000K 15 watt aqueon bulb, thinking of upgrading to a T5 NO but still wondering if it's overkill. Mostly looking at low-light requirement plants, maybe a couple medium.

Current stock plan (after cycling) is 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami (looking at red to contrast the tetras?), and either 10 RCS and a couple nerites or maybe some otos? Would those work in a 10 gallon?

Anyways. Still no nitrites showing up, but ammonia is around 4 ppm. Getting less flak from my family, and my mother absolutely hates live plants, but I'd like to try them. Maintenance is mostly clipping/trimming them every couple weeks, right? I may be horribly uninformed, so if I am, please tell me.

Note: Wasn't sure whether to put this thread here or in the planted, so I tried it here. If it should be moved, please do. :)

Attachments

• 2011-04-24 15.25.07.jpg
    2011-04-24 15.25.07.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 114
nohika said:
I know it's a small tank, but still, small tank people like me need support/advice/time to talk to themselves too, right? Plus I'm hoping if I'm still good with aquariums to get a 55gal this summer. :)

Currently I have a fishless cycling tank that is currently decorated with rocks, a 10 gallon aqueon tank. Currently there are fake plants in there, but I'm getting some hornwort soon and I'd like to add wisteria, anubias, and maybe some java fern? Or whatever the beginner one is?

I have a T8 (I think?) 8000K 15 watt aqueon bulb, thinking of upgrading to a T5 NO but still wondering if it's overkill. Mostly looking at low-light requirement plants, maybe a couple medium.

Current stock plan (after cycling) is 6 neon tetras, a dwarf gourami (looking at red to contrast the tetras?), and either 10 RCS and a couple nerites or maybe some otos? Would those work in a 10 gallon?

Anyways. Still no nitrites showing up, but ammonia is around 4 ppm. Getting less flak from my family, and my mother absolutely hates live plants, but I'd like to try them. Maintenance is mostly clipping/trimming them every couple weeks, right? I may be horribly uninformed, so if I am, please tell me.

Note: Wasn't sure whether to put this thread here or in the planted, so I tried it here. If it should be moved, please do. :)

Plants and lighting all sound good IMO. Fish sounds overstocked to me though.

Well, 6 neons + one dwarf as a centerpiece, and then either 10 RCS or maybe some otos? I have no idea if they'd be good in a 10 gallon, as they sound cute but I've never heard of them before. Leaning towards the RCS and maybe a nerite snail or two, if that would still work?

If you have algae growth, sure the ottos would work, but I wouldn't without it. IMO, you're perfectly fine.

Sounds like a neat idea! However, I've heard that schooling fish (such as neons) do better in odd numbers so you may want to consider five or seven instead. My cardinals for example only school with either three or none at all considering I only have four in my tank right now. I originally had five but one of them is now missing... Anyways, good luck with your aquarium!

Hrm, I'll consider that. Hoping to get some Hornwort coming soon, and looking to see if I can get some live plants from a LFS somewhere around here. With gas going up as high as it is, I haven't been able to make it down there...

Whoo! My Mom tested my tank for me - Ammonia is going down, nitrites have appeared (1ppm!)! Yay! Hopefully it'll be cycled in the next couple weeks - she's testing for niTRATES next.

Sounds good. Generally, 20 gals is minimum for Oto's. One of the probs is you don't want to stock more than one oto per 5 gals, and you don't want a group of less than 3. Oto's should also be added to a well estabslihed tank, waiting atleast 6 months is best. I would say you could do 3 oto's in your tank once it's well established IF you are willing to grow algae for them to supplement. Oto's can be very picky eaters, and if they will not accept a good quality algae wafer or veggies like cucumber, you will need to grow extra algae for them so they do not starve. Just put some stones in a bowl of tank water in your window until they are covered with algae and then add them to the tank. Also make sure you don't add other algae eaters. RCS eat algae but more so off decor and plants so they should be fine. Just avoid snails as they'll put up too competition for your oto's in a small tank ;)

;) I'll probably add the neons first and then the dwarf gourami. Still having issues trying to find RCS...

I'll keep that in mind. I'll test the parameters tomorrow to see what they are for myself, since I'm pretty tired right now. :)

I've ordered my RCS. I ended up paying about $1 per shrimp. Keep an eye on ebay and aquabid and you should see some good deals on them since they are such prolific breeders.

Back
Top Bottom