Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
So from what I know it starts as ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate which is the least poisonous to fish. Do you need to add ammonia in a fishless cycle? Also, where would you get it. Its in my bedroom so anything that smells horrible I really don't want.

make sure that you can get the pure ammonia (no dyes, no perfumes, no surfactant). Shake it, if it bubbles, don't use it in your aquarium..

Alright, I read this in the article. Thanks. But what about saltwater? I wasn't sure if you mix salt first or something.

I am sorry..I am not familiar when it comes to saltwater, someone here that are experts in saltwater might be able to help you...

Theres a "getting started" section in the saltwater forum of this site, I'd check around there. I think there are some differences with fishless cycling a saltwater tank... I just don't know what they are.

I don't know, I've never been to the saltwater forum. You can use the search feature though. I'm sure the process is basically the same as freshwater but I'd check into it anyway. The article someone included in this thread is probably the best thing ever written on this site. Also read all the Q&A after the article. Good luck!

Does it say not to use pure ammonia? Shrimp or fish food do work, but it's much harder to control the amounts that are in the tank. Id be surprised if using pure ammonia didn't work in saltwater because what you're doing with the ammonia is simulating having fish poo in there. Obviously saltwater fish poo the same as freshwater. Make sure you do lots of research, and follow that tips and tricks thread like it's the bible. Lots of people have their own opinion about cycling, but that article is basically considered perfect by everyone on this website who has used it... Me included!

It doesn't say to use it. It says use a raw shrimp. 1-2 for up to 30 gals and 3+ for more. I will make sure to use this thread to my advantage haha

I'd still get a couple more opinions on if you can use pure ammonia in saltwater. Like I said, shrimp do work, it's just not as nice of a clean, measurable, scientific approach to it. You should start a new thread in the saltwater getting started thread asking if anyone has successfully used ammonia to cycle their saltwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom