Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It says that it isnt supose to mess with the test but I disagree with it. I had used some amquel in my tank only to have false readings with my ammonia. Took me about a week with water changes to get the most of it out to have a normal reading again. Needless to say I quit using it.

If you are using the FW Nessier test, then it will read high. (Amquel binds NH3, but the bound, & therefore non toxic, NH3 is still read by the Nessier test.

A correct reading of NH3 can be obtained using the salicylate test, this is the more expensive FW/SW kit.

Yeah, if you are using a Nessler test you will most likely come up with a false positive. Nessler tests can't tell the difference between converted ammonia (which is what ammonia "removers" really do; convert ammonia to a non-toxic form) and unconverted. A salicyte test will give a more accurate reading of the toxic ammonia.

something I came upon that was helpful in distinguishing the two tests:

Nessler tests' color chart is in shades of Amber

the Salicylate test, the one that is unaffected by de-toxifiers (AmQuel) has a color chart that starts at yellow, and changes to shades of green.

I remembered by using the traffic light things, green light, green test, green = go.

Oh excellent way to remember the diff Mr502; would you mind if I used your idea explaining the diff to other peeps?

So should I get another ammonia test kit (mine says its Nessler based) or get just a regular de-chlorinator?

Allivymar said:
Oh excellent way to remember the diff Mr502; would you mind if I used your idea explaining the diff to other peeps?

Alli, it would be an honor, and the very least I could for all the help and patience you have afforded me my friend :D

Thanx Mr502go :)

You might want to do both Todd; get the salicyte test so you can check your toxic ammonia levels now (to make sure its all been converted), and buy a dechlorinator/dechloraminator that does not convert ammonia. You can use the salicyte test at anytime, so it will continue to be useful even after the converted ammonia is gone.

Personally, the only thing I add to my tank on any regular basis is a simple dechlor/dechloramin. It does nothing else. While I do have Amquel in the house, I bought it for emergencies only and have never opened it.

Alright thanks for the advice Allivymar, I'll get both. What are some good dechlor/dechloraminators?

I find myself using Jungle products for dechlor/dechloramins

Initially I was using Start Right; but it only removes chlorine. My fish were fine, but as the water company doesn't tell us if they are changing anything I decided to get one which removes chlorine and chloramine. So I bought InstaChlor which removes both. Neither affect ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom