Cycling staled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
My parameters are stagnant for the last 5 days. I did a partial water changes 50% day before. However no movement in nitrite. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424447259265.jpg
    1424447259265.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 51
Dose more ammonia. Really no reason to be doing water changes right now assuming this is a fishless cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes it is a fishless cycle. I thought it might be stalled because of high nitrites. The picture is after 50% water change. Anyway will add more ammonia tonight and see if it works.

What part is stalling? Is the ammonia dropping within 24 hours yet? If not, it takes awhile for the nitrites to disappear. Like 3/4 of the time is waiting for nitrites to lower.

This is my first iteration, and it took more than 2 weeks for then ammonia to start dropping. Now ammonia stuck at the current level, it never went to zero. As far as the nitrite goes, it started dropping about 5 days ago and it stays around 40 - 80 for the last 3 days.

I would do a huge water change to get the nitrites back to a readable level. From there it's easier to keep track of.

This is my first iteration, and it took more than 2 weeks for then ammonia to start dropping. Now ammonia stuck at the current level, it never went to zero. As far as the nitrite goes, it started dropping about 5 days ago and it stays around 40 - 80 for the last 3 days.

Do you mean your nitrAte has been around 40-80 for the last three days? The nirIte test only goes to 5.0 on the reference sheet. From what I can tell from the picture, your ammonia is .25, nitrIte is 1.0, and nitrAte is 40 ppm.

I don't think you need a big water change again. I think you just need more ammonia and time. What kind of biological media do you have in your filter and you aren't changing any of it out, correct?

Do you mean your nitrAte has been around 40-80 for the last three days? The nirIte test only goes to 5.0 on the reference sheet. From what I can tell from the picture, your ammonia is .25, nitrIte is 1.0, and nitrAte is 40 ppm.

I don't think you need a big water change again. I think you just need more ammonia and time. What kind of biological media do you have in your filter and you aren't changing any of it out, correct?

I suggested a water change because it won't hurt anything and will make it easier to monitor the nitrites.

I suggested a water change because it won't hurt anything and will make it easier to monitor the nitrites.

I know. The nitrite test is the worst because it's basically asking "which very similarly colored purple is it?"

To me it looks like 1.0 ppm which shouldn't be too hard to monitor, but it's already difficult enough to judge that test let alone judge it from a picture.

Sorry I meant to say nitrate 40 - 80. I've ceramic media in my hob, a sponge filter and k1 media in a plastic bottle. No I'm not changing any of the media. All I did was just change the water. And I just added 5ml of ammonia. Thanks a lot for your time and response.

Back
Top Bottom