Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling tank

My tank is about 4 weeks old, I have returned my blood parrot and the cichlid that I had in the tank, I now have a small pleco who seems to be right at home sucking on everything it sees, I also just recently bought a 30 gal filter, it is a 20 gal tank, how do I know when the tank had been filtered? I have tested all water levels and the acidity is at around 6.5 everything else is normal, I don't know it's ammonia levels bc my local pet shop ran out of them, how can I speed up the cycling process?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_pena View Post
My tank is about 4 weeks old, I have returned my blood parrot and the cichlid that I had in the tank, I now have a small pleco who seems to be right at home sucking on everything it sees, I also just recently bought a 30 gal filter, it is a 20 gal tank, how do I know when the tank had been filtered? I have tested all water levels and the acidity is at around 6.5 everything else is normal, I don't know it's ammonia levels bc my local pet shop ran out of them, how can I speed up the cycling process?

Have you done any cycle at all?
If your tank is 4 weeks old, and you kept fish in tank for 4 weeks, you would be at some stage of the cycle. But you need an 'API freshwater master test kit' to test levels and know where your at. To make sure your new fish doesn't get ammonia or nitrite poisoning, do water changes every few days. It will help keep ammonia/nitrites down, if there's any ( I'm guessing there would be at least nitrites)... And buy a test kit to start monitoring water parameters.

Most plecos will eventually grow too big for a 20g tank, unless its a bristlenose pleco, (or a fancy pleco that grows small, but they are more uncommon and expensive). So you need to check what kind of pleco you have.

Bristlenose pleco can tolerate a PH between 6 to 8. (6.5 to 7.5 being more ideal. Try stick close to 7 if possible) but never try change PH very quickly, as that is worse for your fish than a slight out of range PH.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here are a great list of articles on this forum to explain everything about fish in and fishless cycling.... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-154837.html
Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys I love this app just downloaded it a few days ago! It's been a great help!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com