Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I_am_pena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about 4 weeks old, I have returned my blood parrot and the cichlid that I had in the tank, I now have a small pleco who seems to be right at home sucking on everything it sees, I also just recently bought a 30 gal filter, it is a 20 gal tank, how do I know when the tank had been filtered? I have tested all water levels and the acidity is at around 6.5 everything else is normal, I don't know it's ammonia levels bc my local pet shop ran out of them, how can I speed up the cycling process?

My tank is about 4 weeks old, I have returned my blood parrot and the cichlid that I had in the tank, I now have a small pleco who seems to be right at home sucking on everything it sees, I also just recently bought a 30 gal filter, it is a 20 gal tank, how do I know when the tank had been filtered? I have tested all water levels and the acidity is at around 6.5 everything else is normal, I don't know it's ammonia levels bc my local pet shop ran out of them, how can I speed up the cycling process?

Have you done any cycle at all?
If your tank is 4 weeks old, and you kept fish in tank for 4 weeks, you would be at some stage of the cycle. But you need an 'API freshwater master test kit' to test levels and know where your at. To make sure your new fish doesn't get ammonia or nitrite poisoning, do water changes every few days. It will help keep ammonia/nitrites down, if there's any ( I'm guessing there would be at least nitrites)... And buy a test kit to start monitoring water parameters.

Most plecos will eventually grow too big for a 20g tank, unless its a bristlenose pleco, (or a fancy pleco that grows small, but they are more uncommon and expensive). So you need to check what kind of pleco you have.

Bristlenose pleco can tolerate a PH between 6 to 8. (6.5 to 7.5 being more ideal. Try stick close to 7 if possible) but never try change PH very quickly, as that is worse for your fish than a slight out of range PH.

I hope that helps.

Thanks guys I love this app just downloaded it a few days ago! It's been a great help!

Back
Top Bottom