Cycling Tank with Seachem Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I decided to try something a little different this time while cycling my 5 gal tank. I was reading about a product I had not seen before called Stability by Seachem. It claims "rapid and safe establishment of Bio-filter". It also has an expiration date and says it contains live nitrifying bacteria.

I went to petsmart and asked if I could return the product if it did not live up to it's claims of preventing "New Tank Syndrome". They said I could.

So, I picked up 3 zebra danios and a bottle of this product. I have had good luck with other seachem products in the past so I figured I would give it a shot. Not sure if it is new or not, but I had not seen it before. I figured it was most likely a bottle of snake oil, and I am not one to generally go adding any chemical into my tank.

Well, so far, it is working. The fish have been in for 2 days, and ammonia has not gone over .25. In fact, it is barely registering any ammonia, both with a dip strip test and a liquid titration test. The ammonia level has not changed between yesterday evening and this evening. Now, I am thinking that with 3 fish in a 5 gal tank, I would see more ammonia than that after 2 days without a water change.

Basically the dosing schedule is 5 ml per 10 gal every day for 7 days.

So far it has performed better than I expected. It could be a combination of all the plants I have put into the tank sucking up some of the ammonia, but we will see how it works out.

Has anyone else used this product?

I gotta say, I am impressed so far. After 3 days with fish and seachem stability, I am seeing barely readable ammonia levels (lower than yesterday), and today I am already seeing 0-.25 ppm nitrIte in tank. Is it possible this stuff works?

I used this to cycle my salt water tank. In two weeks, I was done. Dont know if it was live rock, or the Stability, but two weeks seems very short...

Matt

Thanks for sharing with us Fort. I may try some in my 20 with 4 White Clouds to speed things up. 13 days and still no nitrites. And many PWCs to keep ammonia from getting too high-lots of trips to LFS to get RO water.

I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far so good. I checked ammonia again, still less than .25. Will check nitrite and ammonia again tomorrow.

5 days running with fish and seachem stability. All I have done so far is about a 10% water change just to skim some buildup off the surface. Ammonia is now checking 0, nitrites barely readable. Not sure on nitrates as I am adding N to my tank for the plants, but it looks as if after 5 days my tank is almost done cycling - and ammonia never went over .25 ppm. I am amazed.

I've used Stability to cycle 2.5g and 10g tanks, went pretty quickly. Only issue was getting nitrites to absolute zero, but two PWCs finished both in about a week and a half/two weeks

I had perfect results using Safestart. Never a problem with any chemistry. And, I put 20 small angels in the day I started the tank. Would I do this today? NO. But it did work perfectly and none of my fish died from the water. Hope you continue to have good results.

Back
Top Bottom