Cycling with Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marconis said:
Gotchya. The shrimp now have a pink tint as if they were being cooked. It is kind of funny.

Yep, that's what happened to mine too. They were raw and grey when I put them in and the tank cooked them LOL.

SparKy is right. The pink tint is the prettiest they'll be. If they're in a stocking, though, it won't be TOO unsightly for you. Mine got really gross. :)

LOL Sparky, very true.

I have them in a plastic bag with a bunch of holes in it and the top opened, so I can see it all :)

That means you're underway. Sit back and relax. When I started my cycle, Sparky told me "It looks like you are well on your way to the equivalent of watching grass grow." He was right. Patience is key. I'm on day 14, and am getting close.

Do you have good seed material from an established tank?

Nah, I don't have anything. My dad had a tank about three years ago so it's impossible to get anything from it.

Only thing that is bothering me is that my water is rather cloudy and has been since I filled the tank on Saturday and it's ticking me off. Btw, the FW Master Test Kit is fun to use lol.

It will clear. Just keep the lights off so you don't have to look at it. Besides watching a shrimp rot, is not really most people's idea of fun anyway.

Lol, I know I know. I know you said it'd clear and I believe you 100%, but idk it's just annoying. The shrimp have rotted a tiny bit and are already making my tank smell.

Marconis said:
Nah, I don't have anything.

Get some.

I didn't have any either, noone I know keeps tanks, I didn't know where to get any. I went to Petsmart and asked, they said I could have as much gravel as I wanted. I took home several pounds. I then went to Petco, and they let me have a filter. no charge for either piece.

I'm sure any LFS would let you have something, you just have to ask. From what I've read, this can potentially save you weeks. Worth asking, isn't it?

Definitely, I'll head over tomorrow, maybe tonight if I can. If I do get it should I just put it in a pantyhose and let it hang in the water?

*Do you think the cloudy water could be from the temp? My water is 87 degrees.

The cloudiness will eventually go away. It's a bacteria bloom. I believe they are all over until they find places to nest (ie, on substrate, ornaments, in your filter, etc.). The smell will go away too.

Have patience, young Jedi. :)

Marconis said:
Definitely, I'll head over tomorrow, maybe tonight if I can. If I do get it should I just put it in a pantyhose and let it hang in the water?

If you can get a filter, that's the best. Place it in your HOB so that the water goes thru it before your normal filter.

If you can only get substrate, that's what I did. Put it in pantyhose, and "squished" it around every day in hopes of spreading the bacteria all over the tank.

Back
Top Bottom