Cycling without pure ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

It's seems to be impossible to find pure ammonia in Montrea, Canada :nono:
Any way to do a fishless cycle without the pure ammonia?
If I'll put fish food to the tea bag and put it in the tank for some days?

Thanks

get a jumbo shrimp from the supermarket and throw it in the tank until your cycled

That would probably work.

Placing an uncooked shrimp in the tank and letting it decompose is another popular method. I've heard it can create a bit of a smell though.

Can I put the shimp to the tea bag?

Its usually recomended to bag it for easy clean up. Putting a bunch of fish food in a bag can work to and not smell as bad.

You can actually buy ammonia based products specifically for cycling tanks here in the UK, it's what i use whenever cycling a tank because pure ammonia isnt legal to buy here.

SeAquariums - biomature is the one i use, whether you can get this i dont know.

The last tank i cycled while waiting for my biomature i added some pellets and let them rott after 3 or 4 days i had an ammonia source. Raw shrimp, prawns or fish in a pair of womens tights or socks for easy clean up like mentioned.

Can I use a mussels instead of shimp?
How much fish food I need to 29g?

Thanks

Can I use a mussels instead of shimp?
How much fish food I need to 29g?

Thanks

You pretty much use anything that will rott. In theory you could pi** in the tank as it contains ammonia but doooont. If the mussels are raw and uncooked yes.

It depends, what food would you be using? High protein, high quality foods will do better for obvious reasons.

I tried that and fish food method and it just made a huge mess and didnt bring up my ammonia level enough to start the process.
I did ammonia drops (enough for 4ppm) and it cycled in two weeks!
I used Dr. Tims aquatics, its on Amazon. But if you do get it their directions are wrong you need to just about double the amount.

You pretty much use anything that will rott. In theory you could pi** in the tank as it contains ammonia but doooont. If the mussels are raw and uncooked yes.

It depends, what food would you be using? High protein, high quality foods will do better for obvious reasons.

That's what Andy sagar use to do. And he knows his stuff.

PM me your address and I will send you some ammo the only size I could find pure ammo in was a gallon! I have enough for the rest of my life!!!!!

Thank you! But I'm from Canada and the shipping will take 2-3 weeks :(
I'll try with the shrimp :)

1 day. Or I read the test incorectly...

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

Attachments

• 20131018_054015[1].jpg
    20131018_054015[1].jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom