Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

cynobacteria-blue green algae

Somebody said to use erythromycin to get rid of it but I cant remember who. What brand and where do I get it? Thanks and God bless!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I heard it mentioned by a few different folks recently.

API. PetSmart. ~$15

One box has ten packets. Each packet treats 10 gallons daily. Typically treatment is five days. Even after the fifth day you may still cyano present. Fortunately it will continue to die off and disappear days after the last treatment. If possible, do a decent water change prior to treatment. Take that opportunity to vacuum out as much cyano as possible.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I heard it mentioned by a few different folks recently.

API. PetSmart. ~$15

One box has ten packets. Each packet treats 10 gallons daily. Typically treatment is five days. Even after the fifth day you may still cyano present. Fortunately it will continue to die off and disappear days after the last treatment. If possible, do a decent water change prior to treatment. Take that opportunity to vacuum out as much cyano as possible.
So on a 36 bowfront I would need 4 boxes?! Please tell me I misunderstood something!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look online, you can likely find a larger package, but its likely going to come with a larger price tag. Fish medications are expensive. That's why keeping your tank clean is so important. Freshwater fish love fresh water.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post

So on a 36 bowfront I would need 4 boxes?! Please tell me I misunderstood something!
Derrrrr...sorry I was not clear. I have a 20g tank and 1 box (has 10 packets) was enough to treat the tank for 5 days (1 packet for 10g daily). A 36g would need 2 boxes.
If you could find a larger box (>10 packets) then that would be more economical.
The good thing is that once treated with EM, the reoccurrence rate is very low. Just need to because of what you put in there (moving equipment, siphon hoses, nets, plants, etc from tank to tank).
Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Derrrrr...sorry I was not clear. I have a 20g tank and 1 box (has 10 packets) was enough to treat the tank for 5 days (1 packet for 10g daily). A 36g would need 2 boxes.
If you could find a larger box (>10 packets) then that would be more economical.
The good thing is that once treated with EM, the reoccurrence rate is very low. Just need to because of what you put in there (moving equipment, siphon hoses, nets, plants, etc from tank to tank).
Because = be careful
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I just cant seem to kick it in one of my tanks. I am not very faithful in water changes but Im not that bad and the bioload is low!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
Thanks! I just cant seem to kick it in one of my tanks. I am not very faithful in water changes but Im not that bad and the bioload is low!
EM should do the trick. Be patient; results will not happen overnight.
I just cleared a planted tank of cyano that had been persistent for months (did not know what it was). I would siphon it off the plants and it would grow back. Not that the cyano is gone, I think Blackbeard algae has taken its place on the older plant leaves. Can't win
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

EM should do the trick. Be patient; results will not happen overnight.
I just cleared a planted tank of cyano that had been persistent for months (did not know what it was). I would siphon it off the plants and it would grow back. Not that the cyano is gone, I think Blackbeard algae has taken its place on the older plant leaves. Can't win
Yea this tank has some other stuff allnover everything. Dont know what it is but hopefully it will go away soon as well!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cyano can happen easily in tanks that have a nitrate level constantly below 10ppm, a build up of organic's from not enough WC's, low flow, and many other reasons can attribute to cyano problems. There are other methods besides Erythro BUT Erythromycin is the most effective way to get rid of it and keep it gone.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Cyano can happen easily in tanks that have a nitrate level constantly below 10ppm, a build up of organic's from not enough WC's, low flow, and many other reasons can attribute to cyano problems. There are other methods besides Erythro BUT Erythromycin is the most effective way to get rid of it and keep it gone.
Cool Ill try that. I am doing more wc than I used to but I still wont do once a week as I dont have time and I dont really see a need. I think alot of it is just not having got rid of it before. Do I need to use carbon after the last treatment? Also do I need to do any wc during treatment? I have almost never had to treat my tanks for anything so this is new territory
Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do a WC and get as much of the cyano out of the tank as possible before you start treatment. Then treat for 5 days. Don't add any carbon or do a WC for a few days after treatment is done as the cyano will still be dying off. Erythromycin won't affect BB but it can cause an ammonia spike from the cyano dying.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do a WC and get as much of the cyano out of the tank as possible before you start treatment. Then treat for 5 days. Don't add any carbon or do a WC for a few days after treatment is done as the cyano will still be dying off. Erythromycin won't affect BB but it can cause an ammonia spike from the cyano dying.
Ok the box says one wc on day 2 I think. Do I or dont I? I trust yall more than a box lol
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't do any WC's at all during treatment. I've never heard of that either.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't do any WC's at all during treatment. I've never heard of that either.
Ok thanks will start dosing today or tomorrow!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com