cypress wood bleeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumlover10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a couple of pieces of cypress wood that i want to put in my tank but when I put them in a bucket of water to soak they turn the water brown so I washed them off and poured boiling water on them and it turned the water brown:facepalm:so what do i do with it so it dosent bleed ( it has tunnels/holes in it) and I am going to upgrade to a 20 long from a 10g so I can get a coolie loach, 2 gbr right now I have 1 upside down cat, 2 otos, and a zebra danio I want to try to breed the gbrs too.:ROFLMAO::confused::D:):huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soak forever, it tannis, it leached out of it. I wouldn't do khulis if your getting gbrs, I would also only get one of those. The cat takes up territory 2

Off topic....bleefing, I think I laughed harder at one threads name than I have my whole life. Bleef, oh thank you sir for making my week. I also understand it's prolly a typo but it was a hilarious one!

I poured boiling water over them 1 of them turned the water a light brown it wa a cypress knee the other was shaped like a Y and when i poured the water over it didnt turn the water brown but i think it had termites but im not 100% not even 50% sure.:rolleyes:

I poured boiling water over them 1 of them turned the water a light brown it wa a cypress knee the other was shaped like a Y and when i poured the water over it didnt turn the water brown but i think it had termites but im not 100% not even 50% sure.:rolleyes:

Ahh, just soak until clear. Should be fine after a whole, drowned termites

I put them in the dishwasher without soap and there not leaking so i think im just going to put rocks on it and around it to keep it down. If anyone has other ideas please share them.

I have some Mopani driftwood that I soaked in my bathtub. After a week they were still leaching tannins. The tannins are completely harmless to your fish although it will slightly drop your ph. Some people buy driftwood and put it in their tanks specifically for the "blackwater" effect.

My ph is already a little low last night it was 6.0 + or - so should i put it in a quariten tank with some guppies or goldfish or something?

I would just take it out and either soak it I an bucket pouring boiling water over it. Or if it is too big for a bucket throw it in your bath tub.

If it is no longer leeching tannins then it should notebook effecting your ph.

Back
Top Bottom