D: I thought she was so gentle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, last night everything was fine. This morning I found this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428235485.022622.jpg

It sucks. I'm 100% positive it was my bichir as nothing else would have done that. That Australian rainbow was one of my favorite fish, and now it has me concerned about keeping the bichir in there since I have slim Denison barbs and a ton of other rainbows and I'd hate for there to be a repeat occurrence.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Think it was Les Claypool.... "a dog's gonna hunt...."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is your stock? But yea if the opportunity is there for the taking it usually happens.

Well, last night everything was fine. This morning I found this. View attachment 269292

It sucks. I'm 100% positive it was my bichir as nothing else would have done that. That Australian rainbow was one of my favorite fish, and now it has me concerned about keeping the bichir in there since I have slim Denison barbs and a ton of other rainbows and I'd hate for there to be a repeat occurrence.

What's your stock because it's not likely that a bichir would chase down a rainbow fish in the middle of the tank just to eat him..... IF HE DIED PRIOR and was already on the bottom of the tank than the bichir would have tried taking some bites

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

What's your stock because it's not likely that a bichir would chase down a rainbow fish in the middle of the tank just to eat him..... IF HE DIED PRIOR and was already on the bottom of the tank than the bichir would have tried taking some bites

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I agree not even a bichir at it's best will catch a healthy rainbow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bichir are nocturnal?? Rainbows stage/sleep at night. That's how I netted my whack pack, scooped them right up while.the lights were out, no problem.. once they're awake?? Forget it...

Bichir are nocturnal?? Rainbows stage/sleep at night. That's how I netted my whack pack, scooped them right up while.the lights were out, no problem.. once they're awake?? Forget it...

This is exactly what I was thinking!

This is exactly what I was thinking!

You Are correct but bichirs really don't attack fish that hang in the middle even if they are sleeping. Bichirs like to sniff it first then push it then finally bite it. Do rainbows sleep on the ground?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Something is fishy here.. I agree with the statement on the bichir. Something must have been wrong with the rainbow beforehand.

Maybe it got scared and hit the glass? Knocked itself out for a minute, fell to the bottom and became bichir food.

Unless it had something wrong with it prior that's the only explanation I can think of.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The only other semi aggressive fish in there are a severum and syno cat, neither of which would have been able to kill the rainbow. As of yesterday all the rainbows seemed healthy, they're all constantly trying to breed and I know he was trying to breed with a female I have in there. I'm thinking it was just an ambush in the night.

I'm going to try to increase my bichir's feedings, up until now she's only been getting 1/2 or 3/4 of a massivore tablet a day. I'll give her that twice a day now and hope that it works out.

The only other semi aggressive fish in there are a severum and syno cat, neither of which would have been able to kill the rainbow. As of yesterday all the rainbows seemed healthy, they're all constantly trying to breed and I know he was trying to breed with a female I have in there. I'm thinking it was just an ambush in the night.

I'm going to try to increase my bichir's feedings, up until now she's only been getting 1/2 or 3/4 of a massivore tablet a day. I'll give her that twice a day now and hope that it works out.

We'll never hurts to ask... Water parameters? Just to make sure Ya know

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

We'll never hurts to ask... Water parameters? Just to make sure Ya know

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah, I know. 0-0-15. PH and temperature have remained stable. Like I said, everyone is healthy and he was just breeding yesterday.

Yeah, I know. 0-0-15. PH and temperature have remained stable. Like I said, everyone is healthy and he was just breeding yesterday.

Beats me. Maybe just one of those for the Mystery Death's book.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've had that happen with a few of my fish. Swimming around seeming perfectly healthy then randomly die. With one of my neons I saw it swim and randomly go belly up. Sometimes it's just their time

Sent from peliper

Back
Top Bottom