Damaged Zebra Danio Fins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich and Nikki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right....
Last Wednesday one of my danios disappeared, prompting me to join this forum and seek advice.
This morning another went. I was not convinced, I drained the tank of 50% of water and took out all media, plants and pebbles. Low and behold there was my danio caught in the filter at the base of a baby Biorb!! With the other one. One came out easily and was alive, the other was also alive but required me to try various methods to finally free him.
All three are alive in the tank now but the one that died last Wednesday has a really damaged fin - it looks as though his tail fin has been trapped and flattened. He's swimming but looks a struggle for him.
Do fins repair themselves? I'm made up he's alive to be fair!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They do repair. If being trapped did the damage, then they'll definitely grow back. I had a fish that's fins were ragged bc another fish was attacking it, and when that attacker left the tank, the other fish's fins grew back.

Yes fins repair themselves after damage, as long as they don't get bacterial infections: I have two male angels and a female. the males both want to be the females friend, so there were some fights. The smaller one (my favorite) got beat half to death. literally, he was missing scales, and he had almost no webbing in his fins. I took him out of the tank, and put him in a different one. within three days, he was perfectly fine.

Your Danios

Hello R & N...

Apparently, you need to make a change to your filtration equipment. Something less dangerous. I keep Rosey Danios and have them in a tank with a Hagen Aquaclear filter. Nothing too powerful, an AC50, just enough to provide good aeration. I'm a water changer, so I don't need high end filters.

Fins don't regenerate much. What you can do, is keep the water very pure, with lots of water changes. 50 percent weekly isn't too much. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt to my Danios tank water. It's the best for healing small injuries and for a healthy immune system. Feed a little minced garlic. It's high vitamin and contains a natural antibiotic. Spice World has very good product. If the injuries aren't too severe, the fish should recover. Danios are very hardy.

B

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately I can't change the filtration system as it's a Biorb. I am now seeing why people online don't recommend them - too small to have lots of fish and a filtration system that is quite powerful and evidently dangerous. I'm sticking with the Biorb and sticking with the now three danios. Was considering a small freshwater shrimp but think that that would be a danger with a powerful filter and the silly ceramic media biorbs need (which mean lots of small gaps - as my danios have discovered). None have ventured through the media since and they seem chilled. The really damaged one has just eaten a tiny tiny flake I put in and he now has a bit more of a belly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom