Danio Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry this is quite large. It might be hard to understand.

yesterday i added 3 danios and 3 plants to my tank and noticed a change in my danio's behavior.

The plants - 2 are long, thin and leggy. The type that grow staight up and dont branch out just like a grass really. These are placed at the back of the tank to provide a screen like feature.
The other plant is similair to one i already have in the tank.

http://www.bonniesplants.com/Aquarium/anubiasnanac.jpg
(That is a pic of my original plant)

The 3rd new plant i added is similair but it has almost grey looking leaves with a purple under side. This is placed at the front of the tank with my original plant.

The danios - I had 3 danios previously (2 zebra's 1 leopard) Yesterday i added 1 zebra and 2 leopards so now there is 3 of each. The 3 original danios are bigger and healthier than the 3 new danios but still the new ones chase and prod 1 of my original ones. The danio being chased does have quite a big belly and seems less streamline than some of them. (is this sign of a female) also i noticed a pinkish/red patch near the rear end.

I spotted that the victim (original danio possibly female) was involved in some activity amoungst the new plant (1 at the front with purple underside leaves) they were almost rolling around together but in water if you understand that, its like they were circling each other but in all directions. Like how dogs tusstle.

I was thinking that they could possibly be spawning?
Surely little danios dont chase big danios? well ive never seen it before.

1. Tank size - 21-23 gal

2. Temperature 25-26 degrees celsius

3. pH, GH 8.0

4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) all fish are looking great. dried bloodworms, flakes, daphnia (first time yesterday) algae pellets for pleco altho all the fish eat them or try to eat them. When i brought the danios home i looked at them and they were quite colourless. Within 5 minutes they were and still are full of colour.

5. Fishes activity prior to spawning - they were chasing 1 danio about. It was the thinner, more streamline looking danios that were doing the chasing.

6. Selection of spawning site (if any) - they did rustle about in a plant, but only once.

7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn - added new danios, i did give them daphnia but they were behaving differently the second i added them.

Today hasnt been so bad actually. The danios seem normal, just generally swimming about and they do the odd chase. I noticed that the possible female, (the one being chased all the time) was actually doing a bit of chasing herself.

She still seems rather fat though.

Danios will chase danios. Always. Size doesn't matter, sex doesn't matter, they are chasers. The more streamlined (and usually more yellow ones are the males, and that does sound like spawning behavior, but it may have been pseudo-spawning harassment. A change in water temperature will often induce spawning, as will the addition of new danios. Give things time to settle and adjust.

Yeah, danios are the quickest and are the most fun when it comes to trying to catch them. They constantly chase one another and like Apocalypse said, the males are more thin and have a yellow tint while the females are plumper and more silver in color. Have fun with your fish! :D

I know what danios behave like its just that i noticed all the chasing was by these thinner, more yellow danios on this female danio who has got fatter.

Does anyone think i should keep an eye out for eggs?

Or any particular form of behavior that is definate breeding behavior?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom