Danio Identification Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midwest

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased 3 long-finned zebra danios. Once I got them home and examined them a bit better (out of the plastic bag and in the tank) one looks a bit different than the other two.
The third is slightly larger, it's fins are noticeably longer, and the fins appear to have more yellow color to them. The "zebra" aren't as apparent either, but they look like they may just be faint. It also likes to chase the other two around.

Does this sound like a Zebra danio? Could it just be that it is more mature than the other two so it looks different?

I didn't think danios were sexually dimorphic. So I thought it might just be an age difference. Sorry these pics are so crappy. They are screencaps of a movie I shot with my digital camera, but in both you can see the one fish with longer/more yellow fins and a fish that is "normal".

3620752_Clipboard01.jpg
3620753_Clipboard02.jpg

Danios usually just spend their day chasing each other around...maybe breeding because I had a male before breed two females and never knew it. Usually smaller indicates a male but not always the case but danios usually just...pick and chase each other :) but I have seen what you're talking about, where there's no stripes ...so it's possible but not sure HTH

Thanks, I guess I'll just assume it's the same as the others but just looks slightly different. I'll be getting a few more within the week, so I'll get a closer look at the rest of them to see what they all look like.

i do have some regular, blue and golden long fin danios. could be a cross breed of a regular-green with a golden. I am on the road right now so i can't give you a picture though.

another option is a celebes rainbow. in the wrong lighting, they look very like a long finned zebra/leopard danio (i have both), and the celebes I have do school/swim with the danios.

Probably a male l/f zebra danio. Females are usually a little fatter and males often have more yellow, especially in the fins. As for the fins being longer, it is just a better l/f danio.

Back
Top Bottom