Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Danio spawns?

I noticed a zebra danio looking somewhat swollen, and spending a lot of time hiding just above some floating plants in my tank corner. Maybe its hiding for rest, maybe its picking out an egg drop place? But wouldn't it need a male hanging out with it if this was spawn related? The Platies like to hang out there too, maybe this is just where they go for security? I put the floating plastic plants in for fry cover, but haven't had any fry end up there yet.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mandi
Interesting.
When my danios spawned they never really seemed to "pick" a spot - rather they just scattered their eggs all about the bottom of the tank (if I was wanting to keep the spawn they were already in a tank with marbles on the bottom.....if not I left them in the comm. tank and the eggs were eaten). My females would plump up and then there would get to be this small school of danios - female in the lead with the males following behind her *chasing* and bumping her about the tank.
The hiding seems to be more distress than my females ever showed.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ah. so she is not ready yet and tires of the attention? Makes sense. Or maybe she is just being picked on. I will keep an eye out for what you have described. So If I wanted to keep a spawn, I would have to put all the danios in a seperate tank with marbles for the eggs to become hidden in? Or is there a way to sex them. They are so darn fast its hard to get a good look at them.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The males are trimmer than females. It becomes quite noticeable when the females are egg laden. You could use marbles or java moss.

Fill a 10g tank halfway and place one female and two males in the spawning tank. Remove them when the female looks lighter and hope for best. Sometimes you get lucky and the fish spawn as soon as they're introduced.

Tags
danio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com