Danios fry survival??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok heres my situation and questions. 1 1/2 weeks ago I purchased 6 giant Danios to cycle a new 10 gallon tank. I left them in it until Wednesday of last week and put the into my 55 Gallon tank, thinking that it was time to put them in the 55. At the same time I had purchased some plants from online and had them in there as quarantined plants as well. I also moved them into the tank at the same time the Danios went in (55) tank. Today I was going to do a water change in my 55, and happened to look at the top of the 10 gallon tank and saw a oily type looking film on the water. I took off the lid and kinda swirled a finger in it to break up the surface and let it go into the water. To my surprise I have well over 300 fry swimming around. I read Danios hatch in about 36 hours, I never really looked into the tank after removing the adults. I have read many articles on breeding them, and I have done none of this at all. How can they spawn like this. I quickly put in some crushed flakes for them to eat since I have no idea when they hatched. Is this normal???? What should I feed them, I would like them to survive if possible. I did put a pantyhose over the filter opening (thanks Zach) so as not to suck any of the fry into it(some may have already perished this way). I think this is so cool but don't know a thing about raising fry. Please any advice to how to care for/raise these would be very helpful. I don't expect them all to survive, but some would be cool. How or what can I do to assure their survival??

vaquero said:
Ok heres my situation and questions. 1 1/2 weeks ago I purchased 6 giant Danios to cycle a new 10 gallon tank. I left them in it until Wednesday of last week and put the into my 55 Gallon tank, thinking that it was time to put them in the 55. At the same time I had purchased some plants from online and had them in there as quarantined plants as well. I also moved them into the tank at the same time the Danios went in (55) tank. Today I was going to do a water change in my 55, and happened to look at the top of the 10 gallon tank and saw a oily type looking film on the water. I took off the lid and kinda swirled a finger in it to break up the surface and let it go into the water. To my surprise I have well over 300 fry swimming around. I read Danios hatch in about 36 hours, I never really looked into the tank after removing the adults. I have read many articles on breeding them, and I have done none of this at all. How can they spawn like this. I quickly put in some crushed flakes for them to eat since I have no idea when they hatched. Is this normal???? What should I feed them, I would like them to survive if possible. I did put a pantyhose over the filter opening (thanks Zach) so as not to suck any of the fry into it(some may have already perished this way). I think this is so cool but don't know a thing about raising fry. Please any advice to how to care for/raise these would be very helpful. I don't expect them all to survive, but some would be cool.

I'm pretty sure for fry, I've read you need to get a liquid food for them for a couple months. But I've never don't this either.

Right now I'm trying finely crushed flakes about every three hours while I'm home, and three to four times a daily while I'm working. I can't find a LFS that has any fry food.

Keep in mind they don't eat much and feeding every 3 hours can destroy your water perams in a hurry. I feed my fry crushed flakes and hikari first bites that I grind in my fingers, I do this 2 times a day and they have plenty, I also have 3 corys to finish up what they leave behind so I know my water won't go to hell from decaying food. Main thing is, fry don't need liquid food, just keep doing what you're doing and see where it takes you. Have fun!

ok I will do that. Twice daily with crushed flakes. Um I have heard of smashed cooked egg yoke, is this okay for them???

I've heard that too, but I'm uneducated about it. Seems to me like a lot of work and I don't want rotting egg yolk in my tank or my water to smell like eggs, but that's me haha. What I do works for me and if what you do works for you then I wouldn't worry about changing it, but I'm sure you can look up info on yolk feeding on here somewhere

Hello,

I agree with the crushed flake food. I've raised three sets of molly fry and am currently raising a set of platy fry. I didn't feed them anything the first few days, rather stocked the tank with some anacharis plants...the fry love to hide in it (gives them comfort) and they actually feed off of it a bit to get their digestive system going. After a few days, I slowly introduce some crushed flakes...almost into a fine powder. I then roll it between my fingers under the water. (The fine crushed flakes don't break the surface tension of the water, therefore don't reach the fry that can't make it to the water surface.) Seems to work fine! Keep it simple, these little guys don't need a lot! :) Good luck!

They're growing quite well, some are a lot bigger than others, normal thing though. I just am waiting to get them to another tank so I can have my hospital tank back.

If you are really looking to grow these out quickly, live food is the way to go if you can manage it.They will grow out much faster that way. Freshly hatched artemia (baby brine shrimp) aren't too difficult to hatch and your fry will thank you. A fry fish food called Golden Pearls is also very good for fast grow out and very healthy fry.

No LFS has fry food, I will have to buy something online but not too sure what to buy, and then have to wait for it to get here

Golden Pearls is definately superior to any other commercial fry food on the market. A lot of breeders are using it instead of brine shrimp with great success. I get mine from a seller called yourfishstuff on ebay. I know there are also sellers on aquabid. You can also get it at www.kensfish.com

Golden Pearls is definately superior to any other commercial fry food on the market. A lot of breeders are using it instead of brine shrimp with great success. I get mine from a seller called yourfishstuff on ebay. I know there are also sellers on aquabid. You can also get it at www.kensfish.com

I'll look for it, thanks for the url.

Ok I found some First Bites at a LFS, and the fry seem to like it. I will use these until they are big enough to eat brine shrimp

I misspoke earlier, I feed hikari micro pellets, basically the same thing though so next time if you have trouble finding first bites the micro pellets are probably just as good. Glad to hear you've got it all figured out now though! Good luck!

vaquero said:
Theyre getting bigger

That's great! You're doing it right then! My swordtail fry are too, they actually look like little fish now instead of little sperms haha

yep i transferred about half of them to another 10 gallon tank, so they weren't over crowded. Seems to have helped, since I did it they seem to have grown more each day now. I'm just wondering how big they need to be to be able to put them into a community tank. I'd rather use my two tens for other fish now. Is there a certain size I need to hold out for, or can they just survive in my 55 by hiding from the other fish. I have balas, silver dollars, Gouramis,and the giant Danios that two of were the parents? I know some of them are defiantly too small and would get eaten, but the others are around 1/2" or just bigger than that.

Back
Top Bottom