Daphnia culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys! After getting into fish keeping, I've finally decided to culture daphnia for my own live food. I've done a little research on how to keep these but still have a few burning questions that needs answering.

Firstly, would I be able to sustain my culture only on yeast?

Secondly, would instant yeast work or would I need active yeast , if so how much yeast to make the suspension? ( some sources say enough to make the water cloudy but we all have different definitions of 'cloudy' )

Thirdly, how often do I change the water and more importantly how do I change the water without losing the daphnia?

Fourthly, sources say that fine bubbles will lodge in the daphnia's carapace but how fine is fine? ( I'm currently using airstones will that be okay? )

Finally, any other tips?

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes you can sustain them on active yeast, but I feel that it is lacking in nutrients so I feed spirulina powder. The best way to change the water is in small amounts with a nylon stocking over the hose. Air stones that produce larger bubbles is ok, but I just leave the air line open ended in the water. Oh and splitting the culture often is a must, they can crash seemingly for no reason.

The absolute best food is green water. however, providing it on a regular basis can be difficult. Infusoria is very good and can be cultivated at home. They will also consume a bacteria bloom. This can be created in the tank with the addition of a cooked vegetable such as zucchini. Doesn't matter what you use as long as it makes the water cloudy. I have never actually used yeast so can't speak to it's efficacy.

Yes you can sustain them on active yeast, but I feel that it is lacking in nutrients so I feed spirulina powder. The best way to change the water is in small amounts with a nylon stocking over the hose. Air stones that produce larger bubbles is ok, but I just leave the air line open ended in the water. Oh and splitting the culture often is a must, they can crash seemingly for no reason.

Thanks to both of you but would instant yeast work I couldn't find any active yeast at nearby supermarkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure, but whole foods stores sell spirulina powder which can be mixed with aged water in a bottle and poured into the culture and is sometimes cheaper than yeast.

Back
Top Bottom