Dark rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigRedsReefs10

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so is this a thing or did I just pay double for a different looking batch of gbrs? I don’t mind the $25 but was just curious, also how fast will a ram go through a cherry shrimp pop of around 20-25?

How dark are we talking?

Is their pH in the appropriate level? Temp, any fish harassing them?

As for the chopping up the shrimp, if they realize they taste good probably pretty fast!!!

They’re pretty dark and have stayed so in my tank as well as the stores. Not to sure on the ph tbh, but it should be around 6.5 as my substrate is designed to keep it there. No ones harassing them they run the tank, they’re in with some corie hasborus and emerald tetras and are getting along great with each other even though I think I got 2 females

“Dark” ram

8FV7qnF.jpg

Male from the 40, regular gbr

xfhkrIa.jpg

And the darks have actually gotten a little darker over the week, that pic was from the first night a few hours after being added

Those are black rams ..That is what is being imported ..
I got them back in 2017 ..Mine were a little darker but it took me breeding over all this time to get the dark black ram I now have ..
xX0gEFql.jpg

They are not easy fish to breed or keep .
Still a new variety that needs work ..

Those are beautiful cb, any tips or tricks for keeping them happy? Foods I should look into, problems with 2 females, etc.

Thanks Red .
Keep them over 80F.
I feed high meat protien foods like freeze dried black worms , frozen blood worms ,and they get Kens grow meal every day ..
They are the latest rage with rams ..

Cool thanks for the info. And if you ever get another pair of those all black ones available shoot me a pm, those look amazing

Check my sales link in my sig. The Aquabid one ..
They are on the top of my sales listings …
I have sold many pairs as there was a waiting list for these since the last time I offered ..

Still shipping in the cold? Could they go in with a pair of regular gbr (also an extremely docile apisto) in a 40b or would I need to set up a new tank or rehome the regular gbr?

I ship year round with an eye on the weather .
The are a little tougher/meaner then regular rams so it is hard to say .
Most do fine with other rams but to be honest I have to say some are homicidal maniacs tolerating not one other ram ?
All my darks are still together with gold rams in a 33 long and they are not killing each other but I consider them pretty tough little fish ..
IMO they would pay no mind to the apisto .They just seem to be the most conspecific ram I have ever had next to their gold brothers and sister ..Too many reports back of the golds being downright mean to all other rams !
I don't understand how breeding for a color can effect a fishes attitude but others also have commented on their tenacity ..I have probably replaced 25% of customers fish. Usually the female is killed ?
I experienced this with a few pair . On the other hand I have dark black pairs that are some of the best parents I have had ???
They are fish and never seem to share their thoughts with me !:nono:

Very interesting sir. Could you give me a week to get some hard scape materials together to start a tank for them or will they all be gone by then?

CB - are you saying these are likely the offspring of black GBR which aren't black YET - or are fish which just didn't get all the black coloring in the breeding process?

The Black do not cross with the Gold?

Very cool fish - both the Black and the "Dark" Rams.

Take your time . I am raising younger ones and not really in fear of running out before Christmas !
I also have several black pairs breeding so hoping to get more darks .Getting the darks is tricky still. I believe it takes a double black gene like DD angels but it is not something clearly visible just looking at fish !I call these guys hit and miss still ! Some of my darkest adults are not producing dark fry just blacks a little darker then yours ?

CB - are you saying these are likely the offspring of black GBR which aren't black YET - or are fish which just didn't get all the black coloring in the breeding process?

The Black do not cross with the Gold?

Very cool fish - both the Black and the "Dark" Rams.
They are black but not dark .
I think the dark gene is like double dark for angels ..
Some say once you get the right ones they breed true .
I have not had one spawn without other color fry with the darks .
Usually the spawns are 50/50 dark / gold !

Nice, I’ll get stuff together and pm you in a few days. If I post pics of the 2 I have can you help me verify they’re both female? And being they’re so conspecific would 2 females be a problem long term, there was some aggressive posturing the first day but now they just follow each other around for the most part picking at the plants.

The two in pics do look female to me if that is both of them .
Watch and see hw they behave ,I found the males and females to be close to the same .
Hard to tell without some observation .

The second pic was what I thought was my male regular gbr, here’s the 2 blacks

JrKfjji.jpg

g8d9Wb2.jpg

GvwOh0b.jpg

wC6p9iv.jpg

And the gbrs

The one I thought was male
xfhkrIa.jpg

ubs9XqP.jpg

And female I believe

14oSjo4.jpg