Darker (almost brown) coloration on the betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello all. I have a betta tank at work in a 2G acrylic tank with its own biowheel-enhanced filtration. It has gravel from my cichlid tank, some plastic ornaments from my cichlid tank, and a nice 6-inch wide tuffa stone from my cichlid tank also.

I've had the betta for three months now. It eats healthy. It moves healthy. It gets its regular exercise of its own mirror image at least 2 a week for a good 3 minutes.

I noticed that this blue betta has a darker coloration which spans from the belly section up to the head. It first looks like a darker blue (he is a blue male betta). But if I look closely, it's a little subtle brownish but blue color.

Is that something I should be concerned with? Should there at all be a darker pigmentation to this all-blue male betta?

Probably absolutley normal. Bettas will sometimes discolor as they get older, and often times it's a brownish/blackish smudge on the fish. If you got the betta from a pet store(as opposed to a local breeder, or a reputable breeder), then it's even more normal.

If the betta is still healthy and eating, no worries. He is just showing his age.

Back
Top Bottom