Darr gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was recently at my local fish store (A World Of Fish in Minnesota) and fell in love with a powder blue dwarf gourami! Sadly, I also fell in love with a flame dwarf gourami! My problem is if I can keep both in 1 tank. I am getting this tank for Christmas so I would have time to decide, but I really would like the following stocking
1 kribensis cichlid
1 German blue ram cichlid
5 albino Cory cats
5 bleading heart tetras
5 penguine tetras
1 dwarf gouram
If I can i would add another dwarf gourami and add a school of. Phantom tetras. I am either gett ing a 29 gallon long or a 36 gallon long bowfront. Also, in those sizes could I incorporate a rainbow shark? Maybe take out a school of tetras? And finally do Cory's need 6+ or can I keep 3?

Well, lotta questions. First the gouramis. No. Unless they are a male and female two gouramis will be at each other constantly. I couldn't tell ya the last time I saw a female dwarf gourami in a store; females are silvery, sometimes with slight hints of colorful stripes, and don't sell well, thus usually only males are shipped. I'd almost guarantee ya fell in love with the male of each color variety, and there'd be problems by addin' one of each.

Two, phantom tetras. I wouldn't. For smaller tanks two varieties of schooling fish are enough, IMO. In addition, ya don't know what size tank yer gettin', so yer kinda countin' yer chickens before they hatch. :) If ya get a 29, then IMO three schooling species would be awkward.

Third, rainbow shark. No. They hit 5"-6" and are territorial. It would be too aggressive for the fish ya named and too big for a 29 gallon tank. The worse hit would likely be the ram and krib, which would be competin' for the same bottom space. Even takin' out a school of tetras would not make the shark an appropriate fish for yer proposed set-up.

Last, the cories. I've kept oddball cories that were the last fish in the store's tank and they have done fine, even by themselves. In schools, cories do great. The real thing yer missin' by not keepin' a school of cories is the behavior. Cories are much more active and less shy in schools. I target at least five in a school, if possible. Some people will say six, I've seen nine recommended. Over the years, I've realized that havin' a certain exact number of a fish is less important than meetin' the social needs of the fish. Five, six, nine, ten, twenty, etc. are all irrelevant numbers, really. I guarantee every social group in the wild does not stick to an exact number of fish in certain male to female ratios. :) Can ya do three? By all means, and the fish will be healthy and have normal lifespans if taken care of. But the larger the group the more secure yer cories will be and the more enjoyment you'll get from 'em.

WYite

i have 2 powdered blue gouramies and 1 flame in a 10 gallon tank with 3 angle fish,3 spot gouramies,4 leopard corydoras,common pleco,2 guppies,some snails and 2 black ruby barb in 1 tank

i know it is overstock!
will give to someone soon

I agree on not getting the tetras. I just pulled the skeletons of mine out of my cichlid tank this morning. :( they tore up my Cory cats pretty good too! I don't have enough experience to give any advice on stocking other than keep the peaceful away from the aggressive. They don't stand a chance!

Granted, I have a lot of cichlids that probably ganged up on the poor guys.

Back
Top Bottom