Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Day and Night for tank

I know that a tank needs appx 8-12 hrs of light but how much of this light needs to be the tanks internal lighting.

My tank is in a room that gets plenty of natural daylight (no direct sunlight onto tank though).

I get up at 7am and turn the tank light on at 7.30am, feed the fish at 8am turn it off at 9.30am and then once the sun starts to go down at appx 4pm(in winter mths) I turn the tank light on 'til I go to bed appx 10pm (give or take 1/2 hr) this gives 8hrs of tank light plus the daylight in between. Is this ok or should I adjust what I am doing

Louise

Old 05-22-2003, 10:18 PM   #2

If you have no live plants, that's fine. If you have live plants, 10 hours with lights on.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for that corscorax. You have been a tremendous fountain of fish knowledge to me.
Louise
Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to BHBowhunter
i second that! the man is awesome!
Old 05-24-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Little louie why don't you get a timer for the light in your tank - save you remembering to turn the light on/off/on/off/on etc
Old 05-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #6

Louise, bowhunter, thank you very much. you give me too much credit

Anyway, to echo catfish, timers are great!
Old 05-25-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can you recommend any timers? The LFS shop suggested a DIY store - but the timers in the DIY store say 'not suitable for fluorescent lights'. I don't want to burn the hourse down or electrocute the fish.

Also we just got home late - the house and the tank were in darkness. The algae eater was eating the plants (he usually hides when the lights are on) and the guppies were asleep. Anyway we suddendly turned the lights in the house on - the poor fish look absolutely startled. We are feeling a bit guilty - but next time we will turn the lamps on first and gradullay increase the light levels so that they don;t get scared.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Can you recommend any timers?
Dang we need some U.K. folks to chime in here! As I'm sure you know, US and UK have different electrical systems, so I got nothin for you here. I've purchased my timers at a home improvement store, but maybe you could try a home electronics store?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can't seem to find a timer for a grounded fitting (3 prong plug)?? Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2003, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
I can't seem to find a timer for a grounded fitting (3 prong plug)?? Any suggestions?
Home depot carries them, i got a digital one with battery back up, set it and forget it.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't mind turning the light on and off. I live in a 1 room flat so I walk past it to get to breakfast and then when I go to bed.

I also like the manual way so I am able observe the aquarium inhabitants for any abnormalities, also check the temp. and filter etc

Maybe one day when I live in a house and have kids, the timer will come in very handy

Thanks for the input
LL

Tags
night, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com