"Dead" Coral in freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blazetamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, a friend of mine gave me a couple bits of coral I know normally this is considered a saltwter inhabitant and is a "live" rock but these guys had been sitting on his mothers front porch for quite a while so I would say that the "live" description is well out the door, My question is would it be ok to introduce these rocks to my yellow lab tank (55 gallon planted) for decoration and if so what would be the procedure to assure a healthy introduction and assure no problems in the process..... also What ways can I naturally increase my PH level in my lab tank, as it is on the low side at 7.0 or should I just leave the PH as is?

If these coral are added to the freshwater tank, they will raise your hardness and associated PH quite a bit. Typically people with a very low hardness raise their PH "naturally" by adding crushed coral to their filter media. If you are looking at raising it anyway, give it a shot, but be careful. In a 55 gallon, you should have enough time after it to measure your PH, GH, and KH and watch the levels.

In my own honest opinon I wouldn't do it.

I would steer away from introducing that to your freshwater tank for the fact that your tank is cycled and has fish in it.

dont do it, i keep both sw and fw tanks. LR and CC easily brings my pH to 8.2 but again, some people put CC into their african cichlid tanks to raise the pH

if it is cleaned really good and you KNOW it will raise you PH and that is what you want... i do not see a problem with it...

Thanks for the input gang... I WOULD like the "look" of the rocks but I dont really WANT to change my PH as I am having NO problems with the stability of the PH... so with that in mind I may just opt for another rock type of decor for the Labs....any ideas or tips on what kind and or the process of making sure they are "clean" for the tank ?

Blazetamer said:
Thanks for the input gang... I WOULD like the "look" of the rocks but I dont really WANT to change my PH as I am having NO problems with the stability of the PH... so with that in mind I may just opt for another rock type of decor for the Labs....any ideas or tips on what kind and or the process of making sure they are "clean" for the tank ?
most LFS sell some nice, aquarium safe Lava Rock, it ranges in color from redd to dark gray...and is chemically inert, many people use it in African Cichlid tanks...

Thanks JDogg I will check that out this week and maybe post some more pics soon )

I've hear dof people using crushed coral to buffer ther ePH, but not a dead coral as decorations, I think it will throw the tank outta whack

My question is would it be ok to introduce these rocks to my yellow lab tank (55 gallon planted) for decoration and if so what would be the procedure to assure a healthy introduction and assure no problems in the process..... also What ways can I naturally increase my PH level in my lab tank, as it is on the low side at 7.0 or should I just leave the PH as is?

Boil it and throw it in. Your labs will love it and love you for it.

Back
Top Bottom