Dead fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couple side notes.
1. I wouldn't leave heater on or really any equipment but definitely not heater.
2. Gravel vac too much is not good. Shouldn't really need to do at all.
3. Definitely wouldn't wait a month to rinse media with your bioload. I do mine every other week.
4. Id consider making your last wc of the month 75 percent.

Couple side notes.
1. I wouldn't leave heater on or really any equipment but definitely not heater.
2. Gravel vac too much is not good. Shouldn't really need to do at all.
3. Definitely wouldn't wait a month to rinse media with your bioload. I do mine every other week.
4. Id consider making your last wc of the month 75 percent.

But if I turn my filter off during a water change how do I keep the media wet without pouring the old tank water into the filter and having it go back into the tank? How often should I rinse my sponge filter?

Your media should be fine while you do your water change, when you get ready to restart filter use a cup to dip water out of tank to help restart. I have 3 aquaclear and have never had a problem. I would turn my heater off during water change also.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Shouldn't dry out in time it takes do maintenance. After I rinse my media pour water back in pump side till if fills up about a cup full

Been 30 years since I used sponge filter. Have ask someone else

I hope this helps, you shouldn't keep having ammonia as long as you've been set up.
Gravel catches all that nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank, that's why I like pool filter sand, corys and snails keep it clean and/or mixed in sand to be broken down and used by plants. Only have one tank with gravel (my daughter's) and if she'd let me I'd put sand in there too!
It sounds like you don't overfeed, so hopefully this helps.

I hope this helps, you shouldn't keep having ammonia as long as you've been set up.
Gravel catches all that nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank, that's why I like pool filter sand, corys and snails keep it clean and/or mixed in sand to be broken down and used by plants. Only have one tank with gravel (my daughter's) and if she'd let me I'd put sand in there too!
It sounds like you don't overfeed, so hopefully this helps.

I have a horse face loach and I was told they eat stuff at the bottom.

I don't understand. Fish can die without any reason. Natural death. If all other fish are fine then its ok. Problem is when ur fish are dying too soon or one after another. But u need to have a check on ur ammonia levels

Back
Top Bottom