Dead leafs on bottom of tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the dead leaves you can get for the bottom of the tank called??? What's they're pros? And cons? How long do they last before they decay??? I really like the look of them and planning on layering them on the bottom of my planted tank with foreground plants dotted in between to ensure fish poop and food waste that sneaks through the leaves get used up and don't contaminate the tank. Thanks for any replies!

Here's a pic of my tank... I want all the black gravel covered in a layer of these leaves! Any pictures of your uses of them are welcome :)

image-4239878112.jpg

Almond leaves from the amazon, there really good, they provide anti fungal action and release loads of nutrients I filled my 90 gallon tank with them littered the bottom made it look really natural, they just rot away leaving the stalk, I wouldn't set a cichlids tank up without almond leaves. They float for a few days then soften up and sink. Also they condition the tank water brilliantly

eBay is the best place get them from really cheap also I buy them in bulk 100 or so leaves as I won't set up a tank without them

Almond leaves from the amazon, there really good, they provide anti fungal action and release loads of nutrients I filled my 90 gallon tank with them littered the bottom made it look really natural, they just rot away leaving the stalk, I wouldn't set a cichlids tank up without almond leaves. They float for a few days then soften up and sink. Also they condition the tank water brilliantly

Lovely all good so far then! How many do you think I would need to fill that area at the front and what's the cost? How long does it take until it is just a stalk? Thanks jimmy!

Takes around 4/5 weeks to degrade to the stalk, they aren't much I've just seen a large bag (20) of A grade almond leaves on eBay for £8. Once you are using them you will always use them, they are brilliant water conditioners

Takes around 4/5 weeks to degrade to the stalk, they aren't much I've just seen a large bag (20) of A grade almond leaves on eBay for £8. Once you are using them you will always use them, they are brilliant water conditioners

I get paid this coming Monday I'm getting 100 off eBay for around £15 hoping to use around 30 leaves so that I can get three coverings out of them :) thanks for the info il post a pick once there in :) shame I've got discus and do crazy water changes otherwise I'd love to keep the tanned water look :(

Don't forget these leaves float for about 48 hours, you are best using a clothes peg or a plant weight to hold them down and once they aren't floating you can arrange them across the bottom, good luck with it all :)

Don't forget these leaves float for about 48 hours, you are best using a clothes peg or a plant weight to hold them down and once they aren't floating you can arrange them across the bottom, good luck with it all :)

I was just thinking that I've got some lead plant weights gunna bunch em up until they sink will 30 leaves in a 300l/55g tank be too much at once will that harm the fish??? Can't believe I haven't thought if these before there's a big gap in my head now filled haha

Harmless too the fish mate they are brilliant. I've filled tanks with 100+ leaves no problems

No worries get some pictures up as soon as you can mate :)

Now they tell me 7-20 working days that could be four weeks away!!! From us I think :(

Do you guys know what is the shelf life of those? They look like they would be awesome for my future kuhli loaches :D.

Do you guys know what is the shelf life of those? They look like they would be awesome for my future kuhli loaches :D.

When dry I guess they would last a year or so as long as they do not get damp but when wet they say around a month until they fully decompose in the tank. I have read kuhli loaches are one of the many fish which love these leaves and although breeding is rare with kuhlis these supposedly help with that too!

Back
Top Bottom