Dead Pictus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I woke up today to find my Pictus Catfish dead :-(

As I was cleaning out the tank and doing a water change I noticed that there was a strobe light next to the tank.

We had a party the night before and my boyfriend placed the strobe light next to the tank, within inches of the tank.

The catfish were healthy and then dead.... Do you think several hours of being next to the strobe light could have been the cause?

Nitrite 0 ppm; ammonia 0; pH 7.6

Nothing unusual I do 2 water changes a week 30-50 percent. They have been doing great for over a month.

The strobe light was the only unusual thing, and I wouldn't have placed it by my tanks. I would have moved it if I noticed, but he also lost my house cat and I was preoccupied by looking for him.

Terrible night it was!

Sorry about your fish :(. It sounds like you've been caring for them very well.

Any chance a type of "refreshment" could have made it's way into the tank during the party? I'd tend to lean more towards a contaminant rather than the light.

Honestly I have no idea what effect, if any, a strobe light would have on fish...but it just doesn't add up IMO.

Well I do have a cover on the tank so if some one added any extras it would have messed up my readings no?

I thought the light might cause panic and stress

I can see the panic and stress part...but spontaneously dying doesn't seem possible to me.

You'd be surprised with the thoughts people get in their head when their blood alcohol content goes up. Someone seeing drunk fish might have seemed like a really funny idea at the time. I don't believe it would have any effect on your toxin readings yet...but alcohol could / will damage your beneficial bacteria.

The first things I'd do is some large water changes and possibly running some carbon in the filter to be safe.

I agree with eco. Honestly, I would not rule out the strobe light though. But, I do not think its very likely. Is everything else in the tank fine?
Also, did you find your kitty?

True, drunk people are bot the brightest!

I hope my guppies continue to survive!

I have already done a 50+ water change and have plans of doing another large change tomorrow. As for the carbon I already have that in my filter, it has been there dice day one.

Yea the guppies seem fine other than that there is nothing else in the tank.

And yes kitty came back about 3 am. A friend found him across the street crying and scared.

I will do daily water changes all this week!

Yea the guppies seem fine other than that there is nothing else in the tank.

And yes kitty came back about 3 am. A friend found him across the street crying and scared.

I will do daily water changes all this week!
Glad the other fish are ok, and glad the kitty was found. :)

Good plan to do all the water changes to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom