Dead snail and neon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
KDidn't want to put this under sick fish as they are both.... Well dead.
Anyway I did a major prune and move with plants on v day and also swapped my filter to the larger size. It uses the same media so all my filter biological media went from the old one into the new. Since then my nitrates went from around zero to like 10.
Well my mystery snail kicked on us a bit ago so I picked up a new one the other day. It lasted a night. At the same toime I found it dead I found one of my neons dead in my floating plants.
I tested my water and it levels are all acceptable.
PH is always like 7.5 no matter what I do. Amm and trites are zero but there was a small trate spike I'm working on.

I'm kind of thinking they honestly just died out of coincidence but is there anything g else I should look for?

My water had been cloudy and it recently occurred to me that it seems after removing my wood and hot washing the algae off it re released tannins.

Not overly worried but curious.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Temperature spikes (can encourage bacterial infections) or drops (fungal) would be another to watch out for.

My experience with snails is that some will live a long time others will kick the bucket in no time at all. I had 1 mystery snail for about 2 years and I had 2 other ones that lasted about a month each. Really no indicators for it either esp if your water tests with good results(could get a copper test snails will die if there is copper in the water). When a fish dies in my tank I try and inspect the fish for any visable signs of illness. I'll also test the water. If I don't see anything and my water tests good and all the other fish are acting normal I just think it was that fish's time to go.

I agree with the snails comments. Neons are also a hit or miss, even in the nicest tanks a few still might die.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom