death tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessiecoad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I've had this 3.5 gallon tank for probably 2 months and I had a make betta in it. The tank had a filter, a elephant decoration, a plant, a leaf hammock and of course some rocks. I added a heater then a few days later my fish died. So I cleaned everything out washed everything in hot waters, took apart the filter and cleaned it and added a new pad. I got another betta fish and then he died a day later. I took everything out again cleaned it all, returned the heater invade it was leaking

*sorry phone has a life of it's own lol*

I returned the heater incase it had a leak or something and replaced the elephant decoration because the paint was starting to bubbles off. So I cleaned everything and changed the filter pad again. I added another new betta fish and it died the next day too. What am I doing wrong here! I have 4 other happy healthy bettas. This tank just seems to keep killing them.

I attached a few pictures of the tank also. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20130614-01008.jpg
    IMG-20130614-01008.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20130721_053128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_053128.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 93

I returned the heater incase it had a leak or something and replaced the elephant decoration because the paint was starting to bubbles off. So I cleaned everything and changed the filter pad again. I added another new betta fish and it died the next day too. What am I doing wrong here! I have 4 other happy healthy bettas. This tank just seems to keep killing them.

Every time you replace the filter pad, it takes all your beneficial bacteria with it. So basically you haven't cycled your tank. Have you got a test kit?

Every time you replace the filter pad, it takes all your beneficial bacteria with it. So basically you haven't cycled your tank. Have you got a test kit?

+1. The filter pad contains lots of bb and when you replace it, it has to go through a mini cycle. Also, taking out and washing the decor and gravel can lose bb as well. Get a test kit and test the water to see if anything is too high ( which is very possible ).

I let it cycle a little after every cleaning. I let it sit until everything was good and steady. Sorry should have mentioned that

Ya and everything was fine with the water when I added the fish I even took a cup of water into Petsmart after they died.and they said the water was fine. And it's set to 79-80 F.

Ya and everything was fine with the water when I added the fish I even took a cup of water into Petsmart after they died.and they said the water was fine. And it's set to 79-80 F.

How often do you do pwc? Neons are known to not be very hardy so maybe something killed them?

Sorry to take over the thread, but quick question: How often should one be changing the filter pad. And when you do, is there a "correct method" so that you try to retain as much of the beneficial bacteria as possible? Does that make any sense? Thanks

Sorry to take over the thread, but quick question: How often should one be changing the filter pad. And when you do, is there a "correct method" so that you try to retain as much of the beneficial bacteria as possible? Does that make any sense? Thanks

filter pads only need to be changed every 6 months or when falling apart. adding the new pad and putting part of the old pad in to let the beneficial bacteria to spread for a few weeks

has this tank been cleaned with soap or chemicals? the bettas shouldnt be dying so fast even if the tank isnt cycled it would take longer than 1 day for the levels to become toxic in 3.5 gallons. but you do need to read up about cycling. are you using a tap water conditioner? if not its the chlorine killing it

Is this for a hob, sponge filter, or canister? For hobs, it usually recommended to switch every month or so. For sponge filter and canisters, their sponges can last quote a while or until the sponge starts falling apart ( like aquandrew said ). Just clean them every 1-2 weeks.

Nope never cleaned it with soap or chemicals and yes I use the same water conditioner as in my other tanks. I know that when you put in a new fish you need to make sure every thing doesn't spike. When I put in a new fish I check the water like everyday and every thing is always fine.

I just don't understand what is going on. Is there anything I can use to disinfect the tank, filter, heater, and decor?

I just don't understand what is going on. Is there anything I can use to disinfect the tank, filter, heater, and decor?

Not sure. We don't really even know what the problem is unfortunately :(. But for the tank, heater, and decor ( not filter ) you can try using vinegar to clean it.

Did you get the decor form the pet store? The plaint looks fine but the other thing might be the problem...

Back
Top Bottom