dechlorinate before or after?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotcholi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
just wondering how do you guys go about dechlorinate freshly added water when you do your water change. Do you just add tap water straight into the tank first with fishes in there then add dechlorinate chemical? Will this hurt the fishes temporarily? Or do you add dechlorinate chemical into each bucket first then dump it into the tank like i've been doing which is a pain in the rear. Thanks for any input as to the best way to go about this.

Hi Jimmy. You can add dechlor after you've refilled your tank. No damage done.

You can save a lot of time and nuissance by getting a python. This is the best product to come along for the hobby since the aquarium :D

www.bigalsonline for the best price

Agreed mostly. You can add after (although I prefer before).

Pythons are too darn expensive IMO, so I bought tubing to fit my water filter fixture at home depot for a couple of bucks and at 50' can access all of my tanks around the house. I use a regular syphon and bucket system on my tanks because I like to see what and how much is coming out.

Robot, If your a member of the bucket brigade its easier to just add it to the bucket.

But if you refill from a hose or similar device, then its perfectly alright to add it after. Just make sure you measure it right, while you can't overdose Dechlorinators, if you put to much in it makes the water get foamy from any HOB filters or surface aggation IME

The other posts pretty much sum it up.
I add mine at the same time I refill my tank.
I also use the Python and add the dechlorinator at the same time the tank is filling.
This is alot faster ans easyer then the old bucket thing.
HTH

I use buckets, so I add my dechlorinator before. Also I prefer letting the water sit for a couple of hours, because I don't like those small bubbles sticking to everything if you put water fresh from the tap into the tank.

ahh ok, thx for the inputs guys.

MERRY X-MAS everyone! Heh, do you guys get presents for your fishes yet? I think I'm going to get some tasty treats for my goldies as X-mas present :lol:

Wow. And I thought it was a fish keeping sin to treat water post introduction. I was alway sceptical about those pythons because of that. I have vinyl tubing to fill all my tanks from the tap. But I only do that when there are no fish in it. I am amazed to find that the ppl in the know find no problem with this.

I used to add dechlor as the water was filling my bucket. Since I got a 50 ft Python for $35 I add it as the water is filling the tank.

The water temp doesn't have to be exact. I the temp with my hand. When I sense it's close, I let the python do the rest. :)

My water changes...

I have a 55 gallon right now, and if I'm doing 20% chage I use the bucket-brigade method. If I'm doing 40% (not very often) I have the python run it and dechlorinate after.

Either way, I guess at the temperature. I purposely run it a little cold because my heater and filter work quickly to get it even - usually I'm right within a degree or two, so I don't think the fish notice much.

I also have a 25' Python that I got for $22 at bigals. This is the best thing. I add dechlor before or while I fill out the tank. I do 20-30% water change every week and also sense the temp with my hand. You get used to that and in a while you become precise to a degree. No effort required, really. No bucket hauling, no spills, no heavy lifting. Python is your friend.

I also do the same. I use the Python on my 55g, buckets for my 10 and 25g. I guesstimate temps for all of em (and I also try for a little cooler rather then warmer), and add dechlor as the water goes in. Don't forget, they act instantly. None of my fish have ever shown any issues with doing it that way.

Back
Top Bottom