(Dechlorinated) Tap vs. Purified Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's best to use for top-offs, dechlorinated and treated (with Prime) tap water or prepackaged purified water (not distilled)?

Treated tap water is fine, no need for the added expense of purified.

You can also "purify" tap water by running it through a carbon filter, which will remove many organic impurities (including chlorine) without altering the basic make up of the water. Cannister type water filters are fairly cheap and the cartridges are economical.
Dechlorinated tap water is fine and what most people use.

Thanks to both of you for the prompt reply.

While I'm not going to get into the expense of another tap filter right now, the choices would either be treated tap or purified. I was using purified for some time when we had a serious diatom problem (still do, but to a lesser extent) thinking the tap water was the culprit, but we since went back to using the tap because we just couldn't afford to add gallons of purified whenever doing a water change or top off. The purified didn't seem to make a difference with the diatoms anyway, not eliminating them in the least bit honestly. I added some purfied yet again last night just to top off after picking up a couple of gallons in the supermarket, but I'm beginning to think mixing all these types of waters isn't good for the ecological/biological balance in the tank...

Regardless, wouldn't the purified cut down on the disgusting lime/mineral deposits that calcify all over my filters and the back of the tank? Isn't that coming from our tap water?

Well, the hard water won't hurt your fish in any way but it does tend to leave unsightly stains. If it is really bad, and really bugs you, then you could switch over to a bottled water, or get remineralized RO/DI from your LFS, but that will get expensive. It would likely be cheaper in the long run to buy your own filter.

If you do switch over make sure to do it slowly. You don't want to make large changes too quickly.

But at the end of the day, treated tap is fine for most freshwater species, including coldwater variants like goldies? :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom