dechlorinating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question.

When using a dechlorinater (e.g prime), does it removed the chlorine etc straight away or does it take time?

I usually just put the stuff in the water, swish it around and then put in the tank. I'm not worried about doing that, just want to know whether it "cleans" the water straight away or not?

Any ideas?

Cheers Rich, i wasn't worrying, just curious really. In 8 years I've always put it in the tank without waiting. Strange how it works...

Quick question.

When using a dechlorinater (e.g prime), does it removed the chlorine etc straight away or does it take time?

I usually just put the stuff in the water, swish it around and then put in the tank. I'm not worried about doing that, just want to know whether it "cleans" the water straight away or not?

Any ideas?

Prime will neutralize the chlorines/chloramines in the tank. They will be converted to a chemical that doesn't harm the fish and from there it will evaporate out of the tank in about a day or so. Prime also neutralizes ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. It "locks up" these substances and converts them into other chemical compounds that are also not harmful to the fish. That is the reason that when you add Prime to a tank that has ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and then test again you will have the same levels. The test kits detect the "safe" chemical forms as well as the harmful compounds.

I think it's best to add the dechlorinator to the water you plan on putting in the tank as you do. That way it allows the best mixture possible and you don't have to dose the entire tank, thus saving dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom