Dechlorinator/Conditioner Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My question is how long does it take for the water dechlorinator/conditioner to work?

Like how long does it take for water conditioner to remove chlorine. Do I have to wait before adding newly dechlorinated water?

:thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few questions for ya

1)What brand are you using?

2) Do you have a test kit?

I use Prime and add cold water. I usually let it sit overnight so it gets to room temp. before adding to the tank ( I have read that chlorine will evaporate if you let the water sit out. Not sure how true that is though).

I have also let it sit for a few hours and then added.

No matter what you do, make sure to test the water and have passing results before adding it to your tank.

I cant let the water sit out for 2 hours I need time to do my work too.

Cant do it!!!!

A few questions for ya

1)What brand are you using?

2) Do you have a test kit?

I use Prime and add cold water. I usually let it sit overnight so it gets to room temp. before adding to the tank ( I have read that chlorine will evaporate if you let the water sit out. Not sure how true that is though).

I have also let it sit for a few hours and then added.

No matter what you do, make sure to test the water and have passing results before adding it to your tank.

I cant let water sit out for 2 hours. Becuase My wife wont allow me.

Well as long as you test the water and the strip or test kit shows there is no chlorine then you should be good to go.

I let mine sit in a bucket in the tub.

Most dechlorinators work "instantly". How fast is "instant" I cant really answer. But I've always done water changes where I add water right from the tap and add my dechlor to the tank after the new water has already started being added.

And yes, chlorine will degas from water if left to sit for a number of hours. Usually overnight is more than enough. However, chloramine will not degas like that and needs to be removed.

I use Prime and almost always put it in right after I reverse the flow of water from the sink and start filling the tank back up. Occasionally, I forget and put it in sometime before I finish the water change. Either way, I've never had a problem

I add Prime as the bucket is filling, get it to the right temp and it then goes straight into the tank. No problems.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Prime as well as SOME other water conditioner/dechlorinator also take care of heavy metals. Some water contains metals, including well water (extra word of caution to always use water conditioner that addresses metals and municipal issues of chloramine in water which requires specific conditioner able to make it safe - not all products can do all these things.)

Water can be treated as you are filling appropriate temp water from a faucet. Drops first then water - ready to go into tank. As mentioned you can add appropriate amount to treat an entire size tank if you forgot to add it first with Prime. Though the additives in the water can kill BB.

Last edited:
I use empty gallon size water jugs. I put Prime in each jug then fill it with water and let it sit over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read on the Barr report many moons ago that some of the metals and chemicals in your tap water are actually good for your plants so I remove and add 50% and once the wc is complete I add the dechlor. Roughly splitting the amount of dechlor in half between either side of the tank. I then wait 5 mins and switch the filter back on.

I read on the Barr report many moons ago that some of the metals and chemicals in your tap water are actually good for your plants so I remove and add 50% and once the wc is complete I add the dechlor. Roughly splitting the amount of dechlor in half between either side of the tank. I then wait 5 mins and switch the filter back on.

You could use sodium thiosulfate to dechlor if you want to leave the heavy metals in.

Prime into the bucket, fill with water, pour into tank.
Or you can get another test kit and drive yourself crazy.
I usually fill my tank with a hose running from the tap, in that case I add a little Prime into the tank and add a few drops as the tank is filling up.
You'll see a lot of people doing it that way here without problems.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom