Dechlorinator filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever had an issue using a dechlorinator filter for water changes.

After two months of scratching my head over unexplained tank deaths in all my tanks I linked it to water changes. I'm going to test it for ammonia and chlorine today but I'm convinced it's this.

Had anyone ever had an issue with them?

Is the filter activated carbon?

Also are you treating the tap water with aquarium dechlorinator before adding to tank?

It's a chlorine and chloride remover filter you attach to the tap. Not sure if it's carbon based. I've just found mine is producing high levels of nitrites and a huge pH swing.

I would think they don't remove chloramines. Only chlorine. Besides, it seems as if it's also affecting other areas of water quality.

It says it on the site but then again it's kicking out nitrites and that wasn't a helpful warning on their site neither [emoji17]

Maybe I'll go back to using chemicals. Can't go through this again.
I would think they don't remove chloramines. Only chlorine. Besides, it seems as if it's also affecting other areas of water quality.

In regards to mine it's a standalone cylinder filter which can sit vertically or horizontally (it's manufacturer says) which I never believed to be honest. It needs to be kept upright to drain after use and kept away from sunlight to prevent the growth of bacteria Imo.
What do you mean by how they're kept?

Have you tested tap water before and after filter out of interest? I’ve been trying to think back and there have been threads with tap filter issues but if it is carbon filtration I’ve never been able to figure the problem out.

I think King Fisher has a good point on not removing chloramines as was thinking could be something similar.

I’ve stuck with seachem safe as it detoxifies just about anything for our hills water (lots of local complaints).

Back
Top Bottom