Decline in Livebearer Stock Quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might be just a local issue, But the last several times i've purchased Guppies (at Different LFS), all of them seemed to have died after less than a week. After that, I've stopped buying Guppies and switched over to Platys. My first Group of 3, 2 died after less than a week. I purchased 3 More the other day, but i decided to quarantine them first. One died after two days, the second has clamped fins and is acting odd, but the third seems to be just fine. Although I suspect it might be a Wild pure bred platy, because it's very plain and not like all the of the others in colorful varietys.

I'm probably going to Swear off wasting money on livebearers in general, only to have them die after a few days. I know its not a Tank issue, because i've purchased other types of fish (including the legendarily fragile Blue Rams) and they turned out to be just fine. Has anybody else been having a similar issue or seeing this pattern? I've Heard something similar is happening to Dwarf Gouramis.

I think it's probably a local issue. There's a good chance that the different LFS may get their stock from the same supplier, so that might be it, or it just may be bad luck.

Another possibility is that they were kept in a heavily salted tank and might have had transition issues into full fresh. It's not that likely, but you could still ask, I know a lot of LPS keep their livebearers in salted water.

Livebearer Stock Quality

Hello Ziggs...

I keep tanks of Fancy Guppies and avoid getting them from the large, chain stores. The reason is their sources raise the fish in poor conditions by the thousands and ship them that way, hoping enough will survive to make a few dollars.

If you get your Guppies from the local "mom and pop" sources, the fish are much healthier, so see what's available. I get only females from a local small shop and they raise all their Guppies together, so the females are pregnant when I get them. So, I don't need to spend the extra money to buy males. The females produce enough males to keep the species going.

I started with six females about 7 or 8 years ago and now have around 1,500 individuals. Needless to say, I have large tanks and follow a pretty hectic water change routine.

B

@jetajockey

Thats actually something I've never thought about, The place I primarily buy my fish at has cups full of dissolved salt inside the livebearer tanks. I have very small amounts in my Tank (Slowly going away from WC's), but probably nowhere near the amount the LFS has. Are there any tips to maybe smoothen the Transition? I have some aquarium salt, maybe adding some to the Quarantine tank and changing the water frequently to reduce the levels?

@BBradburry

Thats pretty awesome how many Guppies you have. Thing is most Mom and pop stores in my area are usually pet stores with some very poor Fish tanks that are in bad condition. There are very few Non-franchise stores in my area, the one that Is the best keeps all its livebearers crammed in several tanks, since they make more money off of their saltwater and Cichlids (which they keep extremly well kept).

Back
Top Bottom