Decorate that tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Overfilter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings all;

Based on some of the examples I've seen here and online, I've decided to hardscape my tank to a degree. To me (and my wife) this means the appropriate natural stone, driftwood and plants. I'd be grateful for opinions:

1. Should I shoot for any particular rock? Are there types I should avoid?

2. I've read that the proper type of driftwood can add particular benefits. Is this true, and if so what varieties are best?

3. I get that a planted tank can be a complex scenario. I want to ease into it properly, with manageable plants.

Until now my interest has been the fish first and the mechanisms needed to keep them alive second. The only decorations I've used are present to break up the the starkness of it all. Links are welcome!

:thanks:

The only things I've read about rocks and wood is make sure your stone doesn't leach calcium, etc, into the water. I've read about a vinegar test on rocks. I use sandstone flag stone in some of mine, it's pretty inert. And wood, I read that hardwoods only. No soft wood ie evergreens that'll leach bad stuff

Apparently sandblasted Mopani roots are safe and buffers PH. Plus I like the way it looks. We're going out to stare at flagstone and river rocks in the AM. And buy a gallon of vinegar too. Thanks, Charlie!

Back
Top Bottom