Decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNewGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone has run across a natural looking tunnel or caves. Everything I find is neon pink or green and hurts my eyes to look at. I already have alot of rainbow slate but it's expensive and I'm not sure the fish really like it anyway.

Dan

Try looking at places online. Not everyone sells the horrid neon stuff.

What is with that stuff anyway?

Try discountaquariumdecorations.com

Or look on Ebay!

Hey Man I ordered mine from the pet shop. ask them and see if they have a catalogue to look at browse through it.. I fouund mine that way.

well I've been looking for something like a PVC pipe but I don't want a PVC pipe in my aquarium. so I was wondering if anyone has come across something like that.

You know I never thought of that I'm going to run to home depot and see if they have something that I can use thanks for the tip!

I have bought a few cave & cliff sets from my local lfs made by Penn Plax. They do have an online catalogue at pennplax.com (I think that's the address.) Anyway, I bought a couple of different sized sets and mixed and matched them to create my own "background". I have to tell you, it looks pretty cool. When you first open the sets you'll think, this is not what I thought it was, but once in the tank they look great and the fish Love them!

R

Another cave I like is field tile. It is basically a ceramic tube they used to put underground to drain fields. Something very similar to this, if not the same thing, are they clay tubes that you often seen wine bottels held in. Along the ceramic lines, why not half of a broken pot.

I have a large broken pot in my pond that the cats love to sit under along with field tile laying down. I have some field tile standing upright with a potted plant on top. My comets actually sink down, probably 5-8" and sleep in there.

well I've been looking for something like a PVC pipe but I don't want a PVC pipe in my aquarium. so I was wondering if anyone has come across something like that.
I was in this predicament a while back...
I got a PVC pipe, 'buttered" it (inside and out) with aquarium safe silicone, and then rolled it in dry aquarium sand so it matched the sand in the tank.

It was a 'Y' shape so it had one entrance and two exits (or visa versa). My fish seemed to enjoy it. Couldn't really wash it properly, but could soak and rinse it when needed.

HTH.

We had the same deal, everything looked so fake. We went out to a local creek and picked up a bunch of nice thin, flat rocks and built some caves. After we picked the rocks we bleached them, rinsed them, bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse and did the vinegar test to make sure they were ok. Looks great now!

Ryan

Yeah! I went to Home Depot and got a couple of large PVC joints, tube of silicon, and some large gravel from the fish store. Grab you a beer and start glueing the rocks to the outside of the PVC. Let it dry for a few days and Boom! Natural looking tunnel. My cichlids love it.

I did the same thing - went to the local creek, got some nice rocks, did the cleaning routine, dried them and built a sideways "U" shaped lagoon with caves and passages using silicone as a sealant. Just need to be careful and mark the tank dimensions on a piece of plywood you are building it on, you do not want to build entire mount Everest and figure out you need to break your tank wall to fit it.

Back
Top Bottom