Decorations for a 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beacious

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of decorations would be good for a 10 gal with an Oranda and a Koi (they do just fine)?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

a 10 gal is to small for a koi.

I'm not familiar with goldfish, but with the level of waste they produce it very well may be to small for a Oranda,too.

I would have to agree, a Koi is a pond fish that will grow quite considerably I would think of returning it to you LFS unless you have a pond or plans for a pond later down the road. Its just not fair for a fish that gets that size to be cooped up in a 10gal tank. As for the Oranda it will get quite large as well, if you are thinking of more goldfish with that Oranda start thinking of a larger tank! Goldfish are very big waste makers and a 10gal with just the one Oranda will eventually give you problems.

I'm going to be getting a 55 gal in about a month. And I have played around with the idea of a pond.

Thanks, Beacious.

Beacious--do some research on your fish and see what their needs are in the wild. Do they like to hide, or are they open water swimmers, etc.? That will help you pick out any decor. Also, the more you know of your fish, the better you will be able to take use the information you get here.
As an aside, since your post in Getting Started has so much attention, it may be best to ask this question there--instead of starting many threads about the same tank. This way, you will not be bombarded by the same comments of koi and goldfish not fitting in a 10 gal.

And I have played around with the idea of a pond.
If you are serious--read, read, read! That is a huge undertaking!

Beacious said:
I'm going to be getting a 55 gal in about a month. And I have played around with the idea of a pond.

Thanks, Beacious.

Then wait till then before getting the Oranda and Koi.

They are both big waste producers and, unless you want to do water changes every other day or so, shouldn't be kept in a 10gal.

and a 55gal is still to small for a Koi.

if you want to keep Koi in a indoors tank, i would think the minimum would be atleast around 125gal tank, probably larger.

Thank you everybody! The Koi will go when too big (he is only about 1 in. long).

This is just my humble opinion..

but I feel the ide aof switching out fish when they get to big is wrong, It puts the fish through an unneeded ammount of stress, not only of living in a space that is really to small, but also the stress of being moved around and taken from his home enviroment.

www.liveaquaria.com

Visit there in the future before you go buy fish, They are just a guideline.. but its better than nothing.

Yes, the site is a store, but it also gives helpful information about the fish as well as their reccomended sized tank. So atleast it gives you something to go by.

Ok, but having that goldfish in your 55 will severly limit your choice of fish to only other goldfish. I would return the oranda, get a heater, and go tropical. You have much more choice with tropicals, and they are more colorful. But If your bent on goldfish, then I would reccomend plastic plants, and maybe a fake castle or something.

Keep the Oranda and when you get the 55G get 3 or 4 other goldies. A goldfish tank is beautiful and the fish have a lot more personality then tropicals, IMO.

I would get some Java Fern to put in w/ your goldie instead of plastic plants.

Go to goldfishparadise.com, they have wonderful ideas and pics of goldfish tanks.

I'm done with goldfish ("Ick Clear" killed them :x :x :x :x :x :cry: :cry: ). Now I'll just do Tropicals And Cichlids.

I am sorry to hear about your goldies. In my experience they are not good fish for beginners. I started out w/ 2 fantails in a 2 gallon tank. I had no idea what I was getting my self into and now a few hundred dollars later I realize that they are good hardy fish, but require a lot more than other fish. I am myself have never used ICK clear (never had any health issues w/ any of my fish), but that may not be what killed them.. perhaps the ich did them in. I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom