Decorative Lasers, heal or harm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
My hubby saw this cool looking laser accessory for fish tanks with additional attachments like a light house. The box claimed that the laser would actually help keep the fish healthy and colorfull. Has anyone else seen this? Is the company full of it, or does it really make the fish more colorfull?

Without even seeing it, I would assume the company is full of it. If you shine a red light at a fish, it'll be red, if you shine blue, blue. I'd be worried it slice my fish in half :)

Your normal lighting should be taking care of anything this product possibly helps with, IMO.

Good question!
I've seen these advertised too, but the company didn't make any health claims - the product was purely decorative.

I can't help but wonder, wouldn't they tend to drive the fish nuts? Does anybody have this?

The price of this set up would cost more than $60! But the hubby is into lights... don't ask :roll: .... and he saw this and gets so enthusiastic! I won't buy one unless it might actually help. It is just too expensive! But anything that gets the hubby excited about fish tanks can't be dismissed off hand.

Sorry I can't link it. I am not that computer-savy, but there is a listing at the Petco website just look up the Miracle Beam Aquarium Laser System. We saw it in the aquarium section our Fred Meyers. (They have the cheapest prices on the best looking fake plants in Anchorage.) I think I also saw them at Wal-Mart. (No I never buy the fish, just the non-living things.)

OK, here it is....

6048200043B.jpg

Danger: Laser light. Avoid direct eye exposure. Keep out of reach of children.

Caution: Use of controls or adjustments, or performance of procedures other than those specified herein may result in hazardous radiation exposure. Do not attempt to alter performance of your laser module, which may also result in hazardous exposure

I think I'll pass.

Laser light is VERY harmful to eyes, fishy or otherwise. I wouldn't use the lasers in my tank, I am even careful to not look at the light coming from the scanner at the grocery store.

That same company makes another light system that uses LEDs that would give cool light effects without being harmful. You should get hubby to try those :)

Healthy? LOL As if! Unless of course, you kick up the power and use it for eye surgery LOL

Well, Foster&Smith sell a similiar system here:

Laser System

They don't make any health claims for the fish, frankly I think that it's silly to assume color changing lasers will have any effect on fish's health. *edit*I'm saying this to the claim by the company that the lasers will make the fish healthier, not to members that have replied about the dangers of laser radiation** One thing it will do is reflect (or refract) laser radiation throughout the tank, which can be harmful to people looking in the tank.

It says it's safe for fish, but I'd probably stop short of adding the speakers to blast Pink Floyd and dropping tabs of LSD in the tank :lol:.

Get some cold cathode leds for your tank set them up along the back edge, I don't know how exactly you'd power them since they're ment for PCs but they're only 10 bucks canadian.

I've got some in my comp.

Thank you all for confirming my gut feelings! The hubby liked the idea of the LEDs though! Do you have a good website?

Those things wouldn't last 10 minutes in my tank. My red zebra would either move them all into one corner or bury them right quick.

I can't see how they can make health claims about the lasers. I would need an explanation from them answering the question "how?". I'd say your gut feelings are right on target (at least they are the same as mine).

Now as far as fish liking Pink Floyd...I think that needs it's own topic...LOL

light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was lookin at the led version too...I was thinking a good neutral night color would allow me to see my nocturnal fish playing around without "spotlighting" them. And maybe one at the rocks. But Some fish are destructivley nosy...not sure what happens when oscar Jr or some other strong beastie chews the wire...the package didn't say.
The horrible light show type are half the price all over Ebay if that tells you anything...

I would buy one in a minute if they had white LEDs but all they have is colored.

I have a white LED moonlight on my 50 and it is super cool!

I have this setup for my tank. Maybe I shouldn't have installed it now that i'm reading all this (the kit was a gift). I'll post pics once I get a camera and figure out how, but what I have is two blue leds and two laser modules. I don't usually turn on the lasers, but occasionally, i have the blue led on at night instead of the hood light.

on the lasers though, the study was done by a university in china (so i hear).. I'll go read the website to see if it's legit.. if nothing else, i'll mount the lasers on the outside of my tank aiming at my ceiling and make it look like there's a hollywood premier going on. :)

Back
Top Bottom