Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Decorative rock centerpiece

I want to add a big hunk on Turquoise or Malachite to my 75 gal tank. I don't know much about turquoise, but I know that Malachite dust is poisonous, but is ok to handle otherwise. Will either of these stones leech anything into the water?

75 gal :
6 Assorted Cory Cats
6 Pristella Tetras
5 Plattys (blue)
4 Kribensis
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Silver Hatchet fish

Click here and vote for AA!
Hooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some time ago, I was thinking of making a Southwest themed aquarium, and I did some research on stones found in Arizona - including turquoise and malachite.

Malachite is a definite no-no in the aquarium - it is a copper ore. Copper in any form is extremely toxic to aquatic animals.
Turquoise is also problematic because it usually contains veins of iron, aluminum, and copper.
From an aquascaping point of view, for some reason, bluish/greenish stones don't look nice in the aquarium by themselves.

I decided to use aquarium safe stones like petrified wood, sandstone, and red slate. Jasper is another stone you could use, and it is available in green and red varieties.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If you already have these rocks, consider completely coating them in a clear epoxy made for aquariums, so the rocks won't leach.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I haven't purchased anything yet, it was just something that I was starting to think on.

75 gal :
6 Assorted Cory Cats
6 Pristella Tetras
5 Plattys (blue)
4 Kribensis
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Silver Hatchet fish

Click here and vote for AA!
Hooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Essayons89
Some of the inert rocks that you can use that won't alter water chemistry are lava rock, slate, quartz, granite and sandstone.

Rocks that should be avoided unless you are keeping Rift Lake cichlids and other "hard water" loving fish are chalk, limestone, marble and tufa. "Holey rock" is also calciferous and will alter water chemistry.

Bryan
Old 04-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89
"Holey rock" is also calciferous and will alter water chemistry.

Bryan
I have "holey rock" in my tank, what changes should I look for in the water chemistry? Thanks a lot for a quick reply, you have me worried
Old 04-14-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
I have "holey rock" in my tank, what changes should I look for in the water chemistry? Thanks a lot for a quick reply, you have me worried
Holey rock can raise the ph and hardness of your water.

Bryan
Old 04-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Holey rock can raise the ph and hardness of your water.

Bryan
Are there filter medias I can add that lower ph and or hardness? Is it a permant change or will it diminish over time.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

As long as you have the rock in the tank the change will be there, but it is very subtle. It is not worth trying to add media to the filter to counteract - much simpler just to remove the rock.

It is not going to take pH 6.8 water and in a week turn it into pH 8.0, but it might bump you up to 6.9 or 7 pH and increase hardness by a degree or two.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
As long as you have the rock in the tank the change will be there, but it is very subtle. It is not worth trying to add media to the filter to counteract - much simpler just to remove the rock.

It is not going to take pH 6.8 water and in a week turn it into pH 8.0, but it might bump you up to 6.9 or 7 pH and increase hardness by a degree or two.
So the rock needs to go? Darn, I paid $30 for the two and they are kind of the centerpiece of the tank.

The driftwood BigAl sells, does it sink when you get it or do you need to go through a whole process to waterlog it? Man, I've been having some bad luck, but I do appreciate the help, my pH is kind of high and I was wondering why. **** LFS!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
i think most driftwood you buy online or at the store has a piece of slate attached to it... but im not sure
Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #12

Great, I tossed my rocks, better that then toss a dead fish or two. Still it sucks
Old 04-15-2005, 04:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tony, you don't have to toss the rocks out. I would hold onto them in case you ever set up an African cichlid tank. They would also be okay for a livebearer tank. Many of the Central American cichlids come from med-hard water, the rocks might be okay with them too.

Bryan
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #14

I plan on having this community tank for a while, so no sense in having rocks lying around my apartment for years. I really appreciate the knowledge, my pH was up at about 8 and that can't be good for my fish. I did a 50% water change after I got rid of the rocks and its already coming back down. Thanks again.

Tags
centerpiece, deco, decor, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com