Deer skull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bone contains Calcium Carbonate, which might raise your PH and harden your water. I doubt it would poison your fish. Might be a good idea to soak the skull in a bleach solution, and rinse it several times over several days, before adding to your tank.

OK, will do! Thanks! What do u do to soften your water? I got pretty hard water already. I condition it, but it still reads as hard.

Would a deer skull be OK in a fish tank? Would it hurt the water at all???
No offense but I thought you are joking. Please note always put in your tank which is tank safe by the manufacturer. Not any other every object.

Oh, yeah! OK! Thanks. ? and no, I'm not joking I've read up on it and wanted to see what other people thought. It ain't no different than drift wood, or most rocks. I just wondered about bone.

Oh, yeah! OK! Thanks. ? and no, I'm not joking I've read up on it and wanted to see what other people thought. It ain't no different than drift wood, or most rocks. I just wondered about bone.
Ok [emoji1] yes as told you by person above me it's not a good idea.

I wouldn't bother trying to soften your water with chemicals. Your hard water likely will not harm your fish. Since your water is already hard, I doubt if calcium carbonate will alter it very much. Driftwood has a tendency to soften water naturally.

I gotta get driftwood anyways. Got pleco's coming next week. They like that stuff. And looks neat too. OK, thanks!

I'm sure it would be ok, but it would damage the skull eventually. You'd definitely want to clean it out though, and if you do use bleach soak it in new fresh water for a few days to leech any bleach out, that would hurt your fish and cycle for sure.

See that's what I was afraid of. I don't wanta hurt my fish, and I don't wanta ruin the skull either. I can get the bleach out, and everything else. OK, so there's gotta be something I can use to coat it to make it waterproof then. ? Maybe??? Some kinda glaze, clear coat, something!!...

Krylon spray paint has been mentioned frequently for painting plastic items used in the aquarium (such as PVC). Perhaps you can find a clear coat.
Personally, I think it would look better on a shelf or a dessert terrarium setup (with lizards, scorpions, or tarantulas)

Do you know how it was processed to become free of deer flesh or was it a found item?

Mass produced items which may be purchased could have been chemically freed from meat and be dangerous, so I would absolutely NOT use it unless you know how it made its transformation from a deer head to simply a skull.

Maybe decorate the top of the tank?!

Do you know how it was processed to become free of deer flesh or was it a found item?

Mass produced items which may be purchased could have been chemically freed from meat and be dangerous, so I would absolutely NOT use it unless you know how it made its transformation from a deer head to simply a skull.

Maybe decorate the top of the tank?!
I'm doing it all. How it's done (skull processing) is u boil it until everything is off it. And bleach it for the whiter look. The part I'm asking is how to make it safe both ways. For fish and for my skull. Taxidermist do all kinds of stuff. I just wanta know what I can use to seal the skull without killing my fish. They have an epoxy for fish ponds that is non toxic, and there's other stuff too. There's ways around things to make things work!

Krylon spray paint has been mentioned frequently for painting plastic items used in the aquarium (such as PVC). Perhaps you can find a clear coat.
Personally, I think it would look better on a shelf or a dessert terrarium setup (with lizards, scorpions, or tarantulas)
It will be on the wall. But I gotta thinking, is all. Got kinda course what it would look like in a tank with drift wood and stuff. But I know I wouldn't just clean it up and throw it in there with my baby's. I know it's gotta be sealed some how and there's gotta be a way. And it's gonna have to be dipped to get up inside the skull. A spray I'm not too sure about.

I'm doing it all. How it's done (skull processing) is u boil it until everything is off it. And bleach it for the whiter look. The part I'm asking is how to make it safe both ways. For fish and for my skull. Taxidermist do all kinds of stuff. I just wanta know what I can use to seal the skull without killing my fish. They have an epoxy for fish ponds that is non toxic, and there's other stuff too. There's ways around things to make things work!

Okay that is good that you have first hand knowledge how it got that way.

I was thinking more along the lines of commercially prepared for display from wholesale retail sale. I have heard of the way you mention. But I have heard of something done with chemicals maybe lye, it was a long time ago I was reading about it more than 10-15 years when I had a Texas Longhorn skull on my property in the landscaping.

I think I read Hydrogen peroxide was a good option to bleach to keep it whiter longer. Probably pretty strong stuff though!

Lucite? Hope I'm spelling that right... no idea how that would work though, it would either be a clear block or you need to dip it?? Sorry it's very late here lol

Lucite? Hope I'm spelling that right... no idea how that would work though, it would either be a clear block or you need to dip it?? Sorry it's very late here lol
I'm thinking it's gotta be dipped for it to cover every spot on the inside. There's alot of small spots in the nose cavity. I will look in to that thanks!

I doubt that the inclusion of the skull, provided it has not been chemically processed in any way, is going to cause any harm to your aquarium. Even if it breaks down over time the addition of calcium and other nutrients to the aquarium will be relatively slow and minor. On the other hand, the effects on the skull, unless you coat it somehow, will be that it will break down and deteriorate over time. Even if coated, it is going to get covered in algae and isn't going to stay a nice white color. The hard part in coating it would be to find something non toxic and to get every cavity. If you don't completely seal it, it is still going to break down.

Back
Top Bottom