Dehumidifier water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I've had a dehumidifier in my basement for a few months now, and have some questions.

Is this water the same as distilled water?

It is pulled directly from the air so I would imagine it would have no compunds or anything in it. Since we are in the midst of a sever drought here in MD, I've just been dumping it on my flowers outdoors, they sure seem to like it. Just wonderin if would be good/bad/indifferent to use for water changes in my tanks.

I asked the same question a few months back on a saltwater forum. The answer I got was that it was not recommended based upon the fact that the water from the dehumidfyer could contain copper or other hard metal deposits.

In saltwater copper is deadly to inverts but I dont know the exact impact it would have on freshwater.

You very well could be correct, I think the condensing coils in a dehumidifier are made of copper. Have to learn more before using it in any tank. Perhaps I'll experiment on a 10 gallon or something, I dunno. Thanks.

Everything I have read says not to bother trying it. Not only is there copper for most of the condensing coils, but there is lead used to solder the tubes together. Another thing mentioned in my search on this topic was condensed indoor pollutants. Because of the volume of air that moves through a dehumidifier and the wet coils, any pollutants will concentrate in the water. At best you will have lots of dust and dirt in the water. Some people recommend not even using it with indoor house plants.

That does it

Thanks, Catfish. Those are good solid reasons not to use it.
I won't be using it for any fish stuff at all, but being the kinda guy I am, (stubborn, mule-brained knucklehead) I will see if it kills house plants. I have a few that I hate, the wife won't let me get rid of them so we shall see.

i dont know why copper coils would put copper in the water. It dont disolve.I have used water in my tank from my house and i have all copper lines and never had a copper problem.

copper does dissolve slowly--most of your water for water changes probably hasn't sat for extended periods in the copper pipes--most freshwater fish can tolerate low levels of copper--i think their concern is with water that has sat and therefore been exposed to increased amts of dissolved copper

Back
Top Bottom