Destroying my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since my platy mama dropped her fry today my plants have started get destroyed. Likeliest culprit is the golden gourami. Every time I leave the tank for a while I return to another stalk or two floating in the water. It's not going to totally destroy the plant is it?

Forgot to add a photo

Attachments

• image-1208916755.jpg
    image-1208916755.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 66
Some fish can make a real mess of plants. Are they eating the plants are just pulling them out? My angelfish are plant eaters so I add cooked, deshelled peas daily with their regular food and hang 2 1/4" thick slices of blanched zucchini on veggie clip daily for them to nibble on.

Thanks for the reply. They aren't eating them, just nipping the stalks clean off. Obviously after the fry hiding in there but it's funny, it literally started today. I do have some floating plants too which are on their last legs as all their roots are systematically nipped off as soon as they grow. That I thought was the platys but now in not so sure. Anyways, I'll assume the stalks they nip off will branch and grow again, right?

Yep, thanks. They were getting rather tall rather quick so I suppose they are saving me the job of pruning!

Needed: Tougher Plants

Since my platy mama dropped her fry today my plants have started get destroyed. Likeliest culprit is the golden gourami. Every time I leave the tank for a while I return to another stalk or two floating in the water. It's not going to totally destroy the plant is it?

Hello Mc...

You just need tougher plants or some that don't taste good. Java fern, Anubias nana, aquatic Onion and and some of the taller Amazon swords will hold up in a tank with more aggressive fish.

Just a thought.

B

Thank you bbradley. I do have java fern and a huge amazon sword too. I'm not worried about them. It's just the fanwort (I think that's what it is) and the floating plants that are being decimated. Suppose you live you learn, if they go ill find something else to replace them. :)

LOL! I know how you feel! I've replanted my dwarf hair grass several times and finally gave up. Someone in my tank (probably my green severum) kept pulling them up along with some other pretty plant, I forget the name, that I tried to root down in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom