Detritus Worm Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marvel447

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I am fairly new to aquariums as I inherited a 10-gallon tank and a 1-year-old clown pleco from a friend back in November. (My tank also has a male betta).

Lately, I have been having a problem with what I think are detritus worms, and no matter what I do they always come back. I got a new filter (the new one is whisper IQ) back in December and it seemed to help but at the beginning of February, they came back. I have cut down on feeding and have been siphoning once every few weeks and have done a full tank change including boiling the substrate and cleaning all the decorations.

I am not sure what else to do. Is there a better filter that I could get? My betta eats the worms sometimes, but there's just so many of them everywhere and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried a treatment? Like Erythromycin or Hydrogen Peroxide?

Have you tried a treatment? Like Erythromycin or Hydrogen Peroxide?

Not yet because I've read that those are typically last resorts and being fairly new to the fish world, I'm scared of harming them.

I understand.. but I would definitely give it a go. Just make sure to follow the instructions carefully. Keep us updated! [emoji4]

I have never heard of this. Maybe change substrate completely? It seems weird that you boiled it, and have cleaned everything and they're that numerous.

Back
Top Bottom