Detritus worms and fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon tank full of fry and my filter is off because it was sucking up the fish. I am currently waiting on a sponge filter to come in but I noticed there are stringy whitish worms all over the tank. In water column, on walls, on driftwood and in substrate. I'm pretty sure they are detritus but Idk what to do about cleaning the tank and using the filter with fry in there. They are just a couple days old. Can they be vacuumed around or can I take them out and put them in a bucket to do some cleaning then put then back?

Attachments

• image-454120395.jpg
    image-454120395.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2148284745.jpg
    image-2148284745.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 164
  • image-623441447.jpg
    image-623441447.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 143
You can get some pantyhose and use a Ruben band to place them over your filter intake. Then you can use that filter and don't have to buy another one.

Keep vacuuming and doing water changes until they disappear. I have worms like this and someone told me they where planaria and that they only eat leftovers. I then found out that it wasn't true as I recently found one of my fish with one of the worms hanging under its mouth. If this doesn't work, treat it with some medications.

I'm scared to vacuum while there are fry in tank. I don't want to kill then or suck them up. Can I move my fry?

just get a fish net that you get at the pet store and go along where they are and try to get as many as u can but try to get a bigger net.

After they are in bucket should I clean and vacuum tank and let the filter run? Should I get a Chinese algea eater or Cory's or sumthing to try to eat most of the worms? Could I have fry in a tank with a Chinese algea eater or Cory's?

After they are in bucket should I clean and vacuum tank and let the filter run? Should I get a Chinese algea eater or Cory's or sumthing to try to eat most of the worms? Could I have fry in a tank with a Chinese algea eater or Cory's?

You don't want a Chinese algae eater they get 10 inches. They also will feed on other fishes slime coat.

They will only suck on a fish's slime coat if they are hungry or because the fish has algae on its slime coat. Then again, they do grow pretty big.:whistle:

They will only suck on a fish's slime coat if they are hungry or because the fish has algae on its slime coat. Then again, they do grow pretty big.:whistle:

They look at the slime coat like candy and once they get a taste they usually are hooked!

I posted it on the other thread about checking it out, but Chinese Algae eaters are awful in a community fish tank in my experience/opinion.

If you suck up the fry catch them and put them back, usually not a problem. I use a white bucket and just check it for babies, usually it is shrimp I suck up. They are totally fine. Usually they get out of the way.

Ok I will try : / I need to run the filter though without the fry in it to clean the detritus and stuff. I'm waiting on that sponge filter. I think they are so bad because I have no filtration going on right now.

Back
Top Bottom