Diatom bloom!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm pretty sure they're diatoms. I attached a few pictures.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416365021.234148.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416365038.055951.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416364996.487185.jpg

I noticed the diatoms about month ago, and assumed they would go away by itself. It's not a new tank- it's been running for more than a year. I'm not sure what caused it. The plants are fake (although I have been meaning to get live plants sooner or later), the water conditions are alright. I've been doing the same cleaning routine- pwc every week, until the diatoms started showing up. I replaced the filter for a fluval aquaclear 50, but that didn't help. They make cleaning a pain, and they come back faster then I can get rid off them. One change I have made was not turning on the light as long as I used to- could that be the reason? Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I noticed the Cory cats have been laying more eggs than usual after every pwc. What could be causing it, how can I get rid of them (I've been brushing them off with a toothbrush), and how can I prevent them from coming back?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

tough to say what to do but here's some things you could try

cut down on amount of food fed: (try once a day as much as the fish can eat in 1 min) (they'll be fine I promise)
vigorous cleaning of the tank: (not with tap water... items inside a bucket with tanks water using a clean paper towel) (move all decorations around tank and siphon whole sandbed) (siphoning sand can be a pain, as you siphon take your other hand and pinch the hose as you siphon to minimize sand loss by lowering the flow)
increase surface agitation to reduce available co2

Is this a new tank ? If the tank is less than 5 months old, this is new tank algae syndrome. Your algae is diatoms.

Test water for nitrate and phosphates, reduce lighting, increase water changes, test tap water for NO3/PO4, do good gravel vaccum, clean windows with a sponge, this is an easy to remove algae from windows.

Also reduce feeding if you're following the instructions on the food containers :p

The tank has been running for more than a year. I cleaned most of the diatoms off, did a water change, and cleaned the sand bed. I also reduced the lighting and amount of food the get. I can't increase surface agitation as I have a betta in there, and he's getting old. Hopefully this works, thanks!

If it persists get a few Nettie's. They are algae eating monsters and will eat it off anything

Kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure: Nettie's=nerite snails, right?

I'm probably going to get one or two nerites tomorrow. The diatoms keep coming back!

Back
Top Bottom