Diatom Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gersh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone

After coming back to a small diatom problem after vacation, I cleaned all the decorations and figured it would resolve itself. After a week of being back, it appears that they are starting to come back. What is a good way to get rid of them? I've heard Otos are good option but I don't know if I've got the room for them. I'd love to keep them if I can. Are there any other fish that would love to get a big snack in my aquarium? Would snails or amano shrimp work?

Tank: 20g long
Paramaters: Normal
Stocking: Betta, 2 sunburst platys (plus one new fry), 2 panda corys, 3 neons (of an original 6), 2 female Guppies, and 1 amano shrimp.
Note: I am aware of the stocking issues in my tank. I am actively working on remedying it.

Cutting down on light will help. Make sure you don't have any excessive silicates in your water. If you do have a lot of silicates in your water you might try Seachem PhosGaurd. If silicates are removed the diatoms will die overtime. Just a thought.

You're right those will help also Siamese algae eaters and Otocinclus catfish eat brown algae too. If you have room in your tank without overcrowding that's a fun way to go. If it get out of control remember PhosGuard works pretty good.

You're right those will help also Siamese algae eaters and Otocinclus catfish eat brown algae too. If you have room in your tank without overcrowding that's a fun way to go. If it get out of control remember PhosGuard works pretty good.

With that stocking do you think it would be overcrowded for a couple ottos?

Just remember the Otos will spend their time stuck to wide leaf plants and glass etc. Before they will work you have to have a biofilm on stuff. And remember to feed them algae tabs as a supplement.

Back
Top Bottom