diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you all share your description of the start of a diatom bloom? I suspect I'm getting some on my DW but my camera sucks and can't get a pic. And all of Google's pictures are of matured diatoms that have taken over tanks. What I'm looking for is how they look in the very beginning. Thanks in advance!

I've had 3 new tanks cycling in the past few months and all have had diatom blooms. Each has been different though. On one, I noticed a brown film on a lot of the wisteria leaves, but little brown on the glass.

On another tank, I woke up one day and all of the glass had a thin, faint brown film that made the tank look cloudy, but no brown on any of the plants or decor.

On the other tank, I noticed dark brown splotches on a few anubias leaves and on the tank heater.

The color ranged from fairly dark brown to faint, terra cotta color at first.

So its actually a filmy substance then? What I am starting to see is only individual brown dots.. I will just keep an eye on it. Im pretty sure my DW didn't have anything in it as we salted it for curing. :shrugs: thanks a bunch

So its actually a filmy substance then? What I am starting to see is only individual brown dots.. I will just keep an eye on it. Im pretty sure my DW didn't have anything in it as we salted it for curing. :shrugs: thanks a bunch

My bubble wand had individual brown dots on it, so you could be seeing diatoms

In time with proper maintenance the diatom bloom will go away. Sometimes it does look overwhelming but not harmful.

IMG_20120623_235228.jpg

Back
Top Bottom