Diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my otto died the other day, he was in my 15gal (see sig) and now the brown alge has taken over, i never relized he did so much for the tank. the snails just cant keep up.

Becasue the tank is to small, and i have plants, i cant get a common pleco. But I need somthing more to keep the tank clean. I don't really wanna get another otto becasue they have just been bad luck for me, i can never have more then one at a time, and they dont last long.

Dose anyone have any suggestions to keep the tank clean? Other then scraping it clean myself. Any fish which will eat the alge, not my plants, and not outgrow this tank?

Thanks.

I agree wtih teh bristlenose plecos... but maybe your oto's would do better in a school instead of just one? They like to be in schools?

The tank is mabey... 3 months old. I was considering a Bushy or bristle nose but i think my tank is too constrained for them to be happy, there really isn't alot of swimming room left.

I kept trying to get a mini school of ottos going, but it seemed impossible for me to get more then 1 alive at a time. I put a new one it and the next day I would find one of them dead (could never tell if it was the old or the new one).

Note, I proably still have diatoms becasue the lighting on my tank is not quite right becasue my CO2 dosn't really disolve well yet...

DIY yeast + sugar in a 2L coke bottle. Makes lots of CO2, but cant get it diffused. Trying a sponge method now but its not working.... Proably gonna but a diffuser when i go home for break (i'm a poor college student :) )

rich311k: I hope your 13 year old oscar isn't still in the 75gal :)

Back
Top Bottom