Diatoms control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does Seachem PhosGuard or API PhosZorb help with reducing diatoms? I have an oto, but he is so small and is not getting the diatoms that are on the back glass. Should I get one or 2 more otos or will one of the products I listed help?

Does Seachem PhosGuard or API PhosZorb help with reducing diatoms? I have an oto, but he is so small and is not getting the diatoms that are on the back glass. Should I get one or 2 more otos or will one of the products I listed help?

I use many Seachem products, but haven't used these in particular. I don't often find I need chemicals of any kind in my tanks if I am diligent with weekly, sizable water changes (25-50%). Also, every tank I have ever owned went through a diatom stage when they were between 4-9 months old. For me these always begin to disappear after that on their own. I have not kept otos, but have BN plecos in many tanks, but they never seem to address the diatoms, rather other types of algae. Still, I think keeping up with water changes and cleaning the glass manually and eventually diatoms seem to go away after a period of time on their own.

I use many Seachem products, but haven't used these in particular. I don't often find I need chemicals of any kind in my tanks if I am diligent with weekly, sizable water changes (25-50%). Also, every tank I have ever owned went through a diatom stage when they were between 4-9 months old. For me these always begin to disappear after that on their own. I have not kept otos, but have BN plecos in many tanks, but they never seem to address the diatoms, rather other types of algae. Still, I think keeping up with water changes and cleaning the glass manually and eventually diatoms seem to go away after a period of time on their own.

I've had a diatom problem since the tank's been set up (a year).

Is the silica coming in your tap water? I know some areas (especially further south) have higher concentrations of silica. If so you may want to run a RODI filter on your water.
Removing your silica is the only way to stop diatoms.

I use phosguard in my SW tank, It really works fantastic for taking phosphates out of the water. The only problem with it is that you should only leave it in the filter for about 4 days and then remove it. It can help you get the problem under control, but something else must be an issue which is vey likely from the tap and phosguard is just a bandaid that can help get it under control

I think it is my tap water, but unfortunately, I don't have the money to service my RO system or buy a new one.

When using the aluminum oxide for phosphate and silica removal, the order of filtration MUST be aluminum oxide first then fine mechanical filtration second. That is opposite of the normal order, but is the only way it effectively works.

Back
Top Bottom